Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Jimmie's Barn!

Today has been a total blast! This morning I got up early, so Hazel and I could finish cleaning the trailer before Nelda and Jimmie Dunn, our great friends from Arkansas, arrived. Tony was so excited about seeing them he even helped by taking out the trash and cleaning up his office.

At one o'clock sharp the dogs started barking outside to let us know that the Dunn's had arrived, so T. and I raced outside to greet them. Even though Tony used Thunder's ramp I won the race and was the first one out our gate.

After howdys, handshakes and hugs we hugged each other again. It was like a family reunion. We met Jimmie and Nelda two years ago at our first Kinky Roundup at the ranch to benefit our rescue ranch. The minute that Kinky introduced them to us I knew I liked them and felt as if I had known them all of my life and Tony felt the same way, too. They were good people to say the least and their vibes were good. And that is how our long distance friendship began.

Before going up to the house I gave Nelda and Jimmie a tour of the Space Ship as they told us about their twelve hour trip to Bandera yesterday. Then they told us they loved the Space Ship and thought it was really cool and then we went inside the trailer to visit.

Ten minutes into our visit Jimmie made me cry and Tony just sat in his chair and did noting, but nod his head. I teared up when Jimmie said, "Nelda and I have a gift for y'all. I wrote a poem for you, Tony and Kinky and Nelda did the artwork and framed it and you can throw it away if you want to." Then he handed me the poem to read in the picture frame, but I couldn't because I was so touched by their thoughtfulness, so I asked Jimmie to please read it to us instead. Jimmie cleared his throat as I wiped away some tears.

"Those Who Walk
(For Cousin Nancy, Tony, and Kinky)

There are those of us who walk this land
Who are blessed among all others.
For we speak with the animals
And see them as sisters and brothers.

Some say it's a waste of time and money.
But those people just don't realize
That we're repaid in a million ways
By the love in an animal's eyes.

When our life on this earth is over
We ask, "Oh Lord please hear our prayer"
And when we cross that Rainbow Bridge
Let all our animal friends be there.

                                      By: Jimmie Dunn"


"Oh Jimmie, that is beautiful," I said, as I stared at the picture frame. "I love it. You are a great poet." Tony nodded his head in agreement. "And Nelda, I love the way you framed it. Thank you, so much. I am going to make copies of this and hang them in my writing cabin, office and Space Ship and..."

"Make me a copy too, Nance," Tony said, "so I can hang it my office." Then T. gave them a stack of his beautiful post cards and they thought they were beautiful and then they showed us some pictures of Marlow and Miley, their beautiful rescued dogs born on Kinky's birthday—November 1st, and their big ranch.

The time flew by so fast, because I was having such a blast as we talked non-stop and laughed at just about everything under sun, which included topics like: the mysterious little graveyard they found on their ranch which dates back to a 1902 tombstone, tornadoes, music, family, floods, snakes, dogs, their 23 year old blind horse, Roy Rogers, tractors, funny fence-building tales, our failures to speak the French language, our favorite authors, Branson, Missouri, droughts, pickup trucks, etc. and lastly, Jimmie's barn, which he is so proud of.

As Jimmie showed us pictures of his barn he said, "Originally it was used to just house hay, animals and farm equipment and I have spent many years turning it into a replica of the Old West. I've covered the tin walls with old signs, old farm equipment, posters, etc. and..." 

"It is so cool! It looks like it could be a museum of country life in the past," I remarked, as Tone and I admired his barn pictures." Then we went into Outer Space and resumed our fun conversation. Then we went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky and we had a great time. Here are a few pictures.




This evening Nelda and Jimmie took us out to dinner and Tony and I had so much fun with them and we hated to say goodbye to them. We told them before we drove away in Buttermilk that we might take them up on their offer to come visit them. 

On our trip home all Tony and I could talk about was how much we loved the Dunns and wishing that they lived closer to us, because they are like family to us. I could write an entire book about today's fun, but it is way past my bedtime and I must "hit the hay." We love Nelda and Jimmie and I wish them a safe trip home tomorrow and we can't wait until we see them again. 

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: