Saturday, April 19, 2008

Men In Trees!

This past Tuesday, Paula B., from Kaufman, Texas, drove down to the rescue ranch, to deliver three dogs that she had rescued—Laz, L.G.., and Sparky! Paula was bringing the litter mates to us because she had rescued too many dogs, and she was overflowing.

When Paula arrived, Tony and I quickly greeted her with hugs, and then we took off to unload the new arrivals to their new pen. After meeting the dogs, and handing out some treats to them, we came back to the trailer for a short visit. Then Paula and I went over to Kinky’s Lodge. Tony stayed at the rescue ranch to wait for Paula’s friend, Julie, to arrive.

During our visit with Kinky, Paula gave Kinky a couple of books, and then she surprised me with the book, “Just So Stories” by Rudyard Kipling! I was delighted and could not wait to read it! Then Tony and Julie arrived.

Outside, next to the Friedman Family Bone Orchard, the five of us had a good visit. Followed by Kinky giving them a tour of his Lodge. Before leaving, Paula, Kinky and Julie agreed to meet up with Kinky, in Kerrville for a late lunch or an early dinner.


When we returned to the rescue ranch, Tony and I gave Julie and Paula a grand tour of the rescue ranch, which included the trailer and my writing cabin. We had much to talk about and discuss and when it was time for them to leave, I was sad, for two reasons. One, I didn’t want them to leave so soon, and secondly, because they were going to dine at that orange colored restaurant, which I dislike.

Later that evening, I picked up “Just So Stories” so I could look at the book. When I opened it, inscribed on the front page, in pencil, it read: “Virginia Lou Garrett from Uncle & Aunt Smity,” with the date—August 2, 1927!

I treasure old books, and this one was in fairly good condition. I then turned the pages to find that this book was printed in 1927! I then grabbed my magnifying glass, because I’m blind as a bat, to read the small print about the copyright. Then I checked out the table of contents to find there were twelve stories to read. Then I began turning the pages to check out the book.

And, that’s when I found an old photo, two inches by three inches, in faded black and white, of six men gathered around, what appears to be, a campfire! The picture had hooked me, and I could not quit staring at it, while trying to figure out who these men were, what year was it taken, where, etc. After studying the photo for nearly an hour, I believe it is of men, in the army, because it looks like they are wearing dog tags, and their pants all seem to be the same brand, and they all have the same kind of mugs. And, I have no clue, as to what kind of trees those are.


The next afternoon, I read one of the books that Paula had given to Kinky, that he had loaned to me, and it blew me out of the saddle! The book is “Found Lives” by James Nocito, and it is a collection of found photographs with stories or famous quotes to fit each picture. The author had no idea of who, what, or where the photos came from, but he has written very clever story lines. And, the pictures were captivating like the one that I found.

The next morning I e-mailed Paula, to thank her for the book, and I told her about the mysterious picture that I had found, and about the coincidence in finding the picture, and then reading “Found Lives.”

Paula e-mailed me back, to tell me that the Kipling book came from the Kaufman County Library Annual Book Sale. So, I need y’alls help, if any of you can tell me something about my found photo, or if you have any idea who Virginia Lou Garrett, and Uncle & Aunt Smity are. And yes, I do plan on writing my own story for my found photo, once I catch up with my blogging. I look forward to hearing from y’all. P.S. Sally just got adopted! And, her new roomate, Orion, a ten week old puppy, needs to get adopted. I’ll post a picture of him later today.

4 comments:

Mary S. said...

Nancy, I think the picture is of either Marines or Army on an island in the Pacific during WWII. My father fought there and his pictures are similar. After occupying an island, some troops would remain there until their luck ran out and they were sent on to another invasion on another island.
Mary S.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mary, I think that you are right about the Marines or the Army, during WWII, in the Pacific. Are those mugs or small pans? Thank you for commenting.

Mary S. said...

I think that they are part of their "mess kit." That was what their eating bowls and utensils were called. [I think] The mess tent was where they ate. Not during combat of course, but when their area settled down for awhile and they could make a camp.
Mary S.

Anonymous said...

Right on girl friends. I am sure those are mess kit parts and American army or Marines in the Phillipines. My dad was there and we have a bunch of pix like this. We could write a great story about these good looking guys. I hope they got to come home.
Linda E