Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My Head On Collision!

Late Sunday afternoon, Tony and I were sitting outside, in my cabin's front yard, visiting with Tony's sweet sister and her husband. Tony and Annie love photography and they both had their cameras, on the table, ready to grab and capture the next pretty bird or butterfly that came our way.

While we were catching up with each others news, we were startled when we heard a loud noise and then watched a huge flock of frightened, white-winged doves take flight. "There's a hawk nearby," Tony stated.

Then Tony started to tell them our Coopers Hawk story, about us sitting in the front yard and watching a Coopers Hawk, swoop down, about ten feet away from us and grab a little bird and take off with it and that is when I nearly had my head on collision!

Out of nowhere this gigantic Coopers Hawk comes flying, literally at breakneck speed, over the top of my cabin, dives down heading straight towards my face and right before it got to me it flew upward and disappeared into the trees, in the pigpen behind us. Just barely missing the top of my head. All of us were shocked at what we had just witnessed and no one got a picture of it, because it happened so fast and their cameras were still on the table.

Annie and Tony were sick about not getting to capture the scary and exciting event. And as we talked about that fly-by, I remarked, "Well, I'm just glad that I didn't have Little Debbie out here, running around in the yard, because he could have scooped her up after turning my face into a permanent caricature!"

Yesterday was a great day. In the afternoon, Tony and I went to Kerrville for three reasons: Hazel, Longmire and Katee Sackhoff. And I am proud to announce that Longmire enjoyed the road trip to the rescue ranch, because I held him in my arms, so he could look out the window.

Before we put them into their pens, I tried to take some better pictures of them. We found out that little Longmire is approximately one-year-old and he never takes a bad picture, because he is so cute and that he must have been a race car driver in a previous life time, because he always wants to drive.



Hazel is a very sweet four-year-old dog and we put her in Tom Landry's pen and put Landry in the alley, in hopes that they will become fast friends. 



And then there's sweet, affectionate, one-year-old Katee Sackhoff. We have temporarity put her in the alley, between Springsteen and Gonzo & Daisy, in hopes that she can be Springsteen's partner. Good grief, Katee is so camera shy, unlike the great actress, on Longmire, because I tried, for over ten minutes, to take a good picture of her and so far, these are the two best. And I am not going to give up on taking a great picture of her and a better one of Hazel. Here's Katee hamming it up in front of the camera!



Before Tony and I went to get dog food for these three great dogs I took this picture of Katee visiting with Gonzo, by the gate and I was surprised with the outcome, so I quickly snapped my camera again. I have not enhanced these pictures and I love the pink rays. Tony told me the pink is from the glare of the sun, but I choose to think differently.  : )



Today has been great. Since this past weekend, after happily finding out that Garnet & Sandy's daughter's family have decided to adopt our sweet Buddy, this coming Saturday, we rescued another dog today. This afternoon, I talked to a very nice man, that volunteers for a Kerrville non-profit charity. First, he asked me if we could take a sweet, young dog, then he told me why. The charity that he volunteers for is trying to help raise the bus fare, to California, to help a homeless, young man get back to his family."This young man told us that he found the dog and he doesn't want it." So after our conversation, I called Susan, at Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, to tell her that we had another incoming. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: