Sunday, June 8, 2014

Wanda!

Today has been great and so was yesterday, because Wanda, this really nice woman, came out right after we had eaten our lunch. Earlier in the week Wanda had called me about her wanting to come out  to see our rescue ranch and to also make a donation, because she loved animals too. Then we ended up visiting, on the phone, for over thirty minutes, because we instantly liked each other, because we had so many things in common.

During our fun conversation, when Wanda told me that she was hard of hearing and asked me to please speak louder, I said, "Me too, because I'm old. I'm 62 years old." Then she started laughing.

"Well, I'm 76," She said, followed by a chuckle. "Trust me, you're not old..." And before we adios-ed each other, she said, "I will try to come see you this Saturday. If I don't get lost." One more thing that we also had in common. When she asked for directions to our rescue ranch I suggested that she print them off of our web site, but because she doesn't have a computer, she wrote down the directions I gave to her.

When Wanda arrived on Saturday she seemed a little bit scattered, because she did get lost and had spent over thirty minutes driving all around here, until finally winding up over at Kinky's Lodge. Fortunately, Scott, from California, was there baby sitting The Friedmans. So, Scott had Wanda follow him in his car, over to our rescue ranch, to make sure that she wouldn't get lost again.

Scott is a very talented musician friend of Kinky's, that was visiting him for a few days. And the reason that I didn't post anything Friday night was because I was here playing guitars with Scott and having a lot of fun.

Anyway, once Wanda had calmed down, she hugged me and said, "I love your rescue ranch. All of the dogs look so happy." Then she went back to her car to get something. When she returned, she said, "I have a gift for you, Nancy. I so enjoyed visiting with you the other day, I want to give you my little, hanging, flower vase. It is porcelain and is about a hundred years old." Then she asked Tony to please help her open the cat food box, that she had put her wrapped up vase inside, to protect it.

While Tony was cutting the box's tape that she had put on, she laughed and said, "Don't worry, Nancy,  I'm not bringing you cans of cat food. It was the only box that I could find..." When Tony handed the opened box back to Wanda, she said, "After talking to you on the phone, I want you to have this. I hope you like it. Now unwrap it." Then she handed me her wrapped up vase to unwrap.

When I removed the many paper towels, my jaw dropped to the ground, because I didn't like it—I LOVED IT! As I was thanking Wanda, over and over again, for giving me her beautiful, small vase, I said, "Wanda, pink is my favorite color and I love these pretty, pink ribbons."

"I know."

"How? Did I tell you about me loving the color pink when we talked on the phone?"

Wanda smiled at me and shook her head sideways. Then she grinned and winked at me and said, "I just knew." So, I invited this very sweet and extremely interesting woman. to come inside The Cabin for a visit and to drink some delicious Donut Shop coffee with me.

After making us coffees I had the most fascinating, one and a half hour, visit with Wanda, in our big room. We talked about everything under the sun, including life as we see it. And it was like Wanda was my soul sister or something, because our views on everything were exactly the same. And when it was time for Wanda to leave I didn't want her to go, because I was mesmerized listening to her seventy-six-years of wisdom.

When it was time to adios my newest dear friend, I offered to lead Wanda back to Highway 16, in Trigger, to make sure that she wouldn't get lost, again. "Oh thank you, Nancy. I would really appreciate that. When we get to the highway just stick your arm out the window and point which way I should turn." And, I did.

Knowing that Wanda had more than fifty miles to drive to get back to her home, I waited over an hour to call her, because I wanted to thank her once again for giving me her precious vase that she had loved and to make sure that she got home okay.

Thankfully, Wanda made it home safely and we had a short, but wonderful conversation. I am not sure if I will ever see Wanda again, because she has some very serious health issues that she is dealing with, but I do know that our paths were meant to be crossed, because some of the things that she told me I shall never forget.

Even though Wanda doesn't know how to use a computer I want to say, "Take care, Wanda. You have truly touched my heart. And I thank you once again for giving me your beautiful vase, with a dimpled bottom instead of flat, because I will hang it in a very special place, to always remind me of you."



Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can put Wanda's vase on a ring of some sort and it will sit on your table. There are wood rings at craft stores or you could make one. There are big plastic rings.

Fay said...

Wow, that vase is so pretty! Great story about Wanda. I love your blog Nance!