Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Egg Palace!

Today has been more than great. This morning after doing our outside chores we came inside and Carlton was flashing us on top of the breakfast bar, so I pushed his button and heard, "Hello, Nancy. This is Aaron. I'm leaving Baxter's place right now with four chickens for you, four chicks for Charlie and Ellen and I am taking the rooster and the other four chicks to my friend, in Bandera. I'll be there around 1:00. Bye."

To say the least, "Tony and I were thrilled! So, we went back outside to The Egg Palace, to tidy things up  before "The Golden Girls" arrived. After Tony had mounted the nesting boxes, above the ground for them to lay eggs in, he went to the barn to get some hay, but on his way back into the pigpen he stumbled and fell—holding an armful of hay in his arms. "Tony, are you okay?" I half-hollered, after hearing the loud thud.

There was silence for a few seconds, as he sat up and rubbed his ankle, "My ankle is either sprained or broken. Ouch." Then he slowly stood up, dusted himself off and then he picked up the scattered hay and limped into The Egg Palace to make the girl's beds, while I continued my landscaping (gathering and stacking rocks around the outside of the palace).

Five minutes later, the "Chicken Man cometh." "Hi, Aaron!" I said, as Tone approached him, doing his Frankenstein impersonation.

"Hey, man? What happened to your leg?" Aaron asked. After we had told him about Tony's swollen ankle, Aaron lifted a large crate out of the back of his truck and carried it into The Egg Palace. And when he carefully removed the sheet, covering the Golden Girls—we fell in love with "our girls."

As the pretty hens inspected the inside of their new digs, Tony and named them, while Aaron went back to his truck to get out Charlie and Ellen's crate of four, young chickens, so Ellen could pick them up later today. This is a picture I took of their first hen party here. Left to right are: Blanche, Rose, Sophia and Dorothy.


And this is a picture of The Egg Palace with Rose being the very first to roost on the branch inside and please note my lovely landscaping that I did around the bottom of the chicken castle.


After they had watered Charlie and Ellen's chickens, inside the crate, Aaron drove off to go deliver the remaining rooster and other four, young chickens to his friend, in Bandera. And not long after that, Ellen arrived to collect her and Charlie's "party of four." But before Ellen drove back home with her box of chickens, we had a fun visit with her, inside the pigpen. 

Late this afternoon when we came back inside The Cabin, Carlton was flashing us, so I pushed his button again, and the message we heard from the nice woman who had brought us Roscoe, this past Saturday, delighted us even more than our chickens arrival had. 

She had a friend, in Fredericksburg, who wanted to keep Roscoe for her indefinitely, until she could take him back to live with her and she said that they would be coming out on Saturday to pick him up and then she thanked us for helping her and Roscoe and then she asked us to please, "Not adopt him out, because I love Roscoe so much." 


We were so happy for Roscoe and her, Tony immediately picked up the phone and punched in the woman's phone number, so he could reassure her that we would not adopt her beautiful dog out, that we looked forward to Saturday and to tell her how happy we were for the both of them. 

And that is about it for tonight, except for one other thing that I left out—my homemade tortillas that I made, using H-E-B's Hill Country Tortilla flour, turned out perfect and were beyond delicious.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Fay said...

Oooh! I love your Golden Girls! Hen party all the time. So egg-citing!! ; ))
Fay

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! The Golden Girls Rule! You must come down and eat some delicious, healthy eggs with us.