Sunday, October 1, 2017

The End Of The Line!

Today has been great, because I lucked out and got my sign! "What sign?" You may ask, so I am going to tell you about it.

Last Friday afternoon while we were in Kerrville, we stopped by Wolfmueller's Books to visit with our dear friends Sandy & Jon. And I am so glad that we did for two reasons:

     1. Because we love Sandy & Jon and we always have fun when we get together.
     2. Because, right next door to their super-cool bookstore, their good friend, Barbara Fitch, was a having another one of her popular, pop-up Fitch Estate Sales.

I've only been to one or two estate sales, in my entire life, so I adios-ed Tony, Sandy & Jon and went next door to check it out for a few minutes. Which quickly turned into at least twenty minutes, because Sandy had to come find me for Tony.

Anyway, there was a ton of great stuff for sale and the place was packed with friendly customers buying up all kinds of things. The buying frenzy was contagious and I almost bought this metal sign, but because I had left my purse, at Wolfmueller's Books, I left the estate sale empty-handed. And I sadly spent the rest of the day and Saturday regretting not buying that sign, because I loved its message.

So this morning around 11:30, after Tony and I took off for Kerrville, to go to Home Depot and the big H-E-B, I told Tone that I wanted to stop by the Fitch Estate Sale, that opened at noon, so I could buy that sign—if it was still there. "Don't worry Tony, no one will be there, because it is Sunday," I unknowingly lied to my sweet husband. "It will only take me a few minutes."

Omg! When we turned onto Earl Garrett Street cars were parked in every parking space available, but we luckily found one, in front of Jon & Sandy's bookstore.


And the line of people to get inside the store was almost a block long. "I'm not going to stand in line for this," Tony declared, as Merle Haggard was singing Okie From Muskogee, on the radio. "Look at all of those people waiting to get inside."

I looked and then I adios-ed Tony and jumped out of JJ Cale, "I'll be back soon!" Which turned out to be another lie.

As I smiled and walked past the long line of people, I heard, "Hi Cousin Nancy." I stopped and turned and saw our good friend Donna S. smiling at me and after a brief visit with her I began my long journey towards the end of the line.

But before I had taken ten steps, I heard another friendly voice, "Hi Cousin Nancy. It is good to see you here and..." Our good friend Diane said to me. And after another fun, but short visit with her, I marched on as I sadly watched the long line getting longer by the minute.

Well, I almost made it to the end of the line of excited, anxious shoppers when I heard another friendly voice say, "Hey Cousin Nancy!" It was Sandy greeting me, so I stopped on a dime (Actually it was a penny.) and I visited with her as I watched the line growing even longer.

After a quick, fun visit with Sandy I slowly walked to the end of the line, that was now nearly to the corner of Water Street and Earl Garrett Street, because I was feeling a bit dehydrated from my long hiking adventure.

Okay, Bottom   Line: The sign was still there, high up on a tall dresser, near the back of the store. I reached for it, but because I am short (politically correct versions: height deprived or height challenged.) I could not grab it.

But as luck would have it—Diane walked up to me and offered to get it down for me! I was thrilled until I watched her struggle trying to get it. "It's too high and too heavy for me," she sulked, when she saw me wearing an upside down smile on my face.

I wanted to half-holler, "Tony!" Like I always do when I need help, but I knew it would be in vain, because he was waiting for me, in our trusty-truck. So, I said to Diane, "Don't worry about it. I guess I'm just not meant to have it."

Then my knight in shining armor appeared, actually he was a friendly, gray-haired, senior citizen wearing a salt and pepper mustache on his round, rosy face when he said, "Here, let me get that down for you." And as I watched him struggle too, to get my sign down for me I was holding my breath and forgot to breathe which almost caused me to faint when he handed me the sign.

After catching my breath and steadying myself, I thanked him and then I walked away dragging my metal sign behind me, because I was totally exhausted from my long, shopping trek and I needed to go to the bathroom, because I didn't want to wet my pants (501 Levis). And I did all of this to get this great sign that only cost me $8.00, because everything in the Fitch Estate Sale was 75% off today.


As I finish writing this tonight, I do want you to know that I did not wet my pants this afternoon, because we got to Home Depot, in the nick of time. And tomorrow I plan to get Tony to hang up my new, used sign, in our new cabin, because I love the message and it was well worth getting.

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

2 comments:

Fay said...

I Like it! So glad you got the sign, it's terrible when you just KNOW you should have bought that one thing, and you didn't, and you never stop thinking about it!
Have a great rest of the week, Nance.
Fay xx

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! I am so thrilled about getting that sign and it is already hanging in our new cabin! Tony and I send you and Ian our love and we hope the rest of the week is more than great for y'all.