Thursday, May 24, 2012

Through or Threw!

Today has been a really great day. This morning Miranda Lambert was Harley's Pet Of The Week on his popular, morning radio show. "Harley, Miranda is a lovely Border Collie. She's well trained, not hyper and she is really smart and she is a senior citizen, probably about ten-years-old. A friend of ours rescued her in a neighborhood about two weeks ago..." After a fun time talking to Harley, I went outside to clean the dog pens.


While I was outside cleaning the dog pens, Carlton took two very important phone calls and it made me smile when I listened to the two urgent messages, left by a mom and then by her daughter. Their messages were basically the same—Miranda Lambert was their dog! So I picked up the phone and called the mom first, to reassure her that Miranda was doing great, that we would not adopt their dog out and that they could come out and pick her up after the daughter got off from work today.

Apparently, their friends had listened to Harley and me talking about Miranda, so they called the mom and the daughter to tell them about our Miranda, so the mom and the daughter went online to see if it was their dog, because their dog had gotten out of their yard, two weeks ago, during the stormy weather.

After we ate lunch today, even though it was pretty hot, Ben went outside to do some more mowing, so Tone and I went outside to put Advantix II on all of the dogs and ten minutes later, while T. was putting the Advantix II on Martha Stewart—I made a terribly big mistake trying to use Tony's box cutter knife to open up the sealed packages.

Because I have never used a box cutter knife in my life, I didn't know how sharp they were, so when I pressed down hard to open up the package, the knife cut through the side of my right index finger, through the package and then cut through the vinyl of Kermit's newly reupholstered bench seat and it happened so fast, I didn't even know that my finger was cut and gushing blood.

"Oh no!" I said to Tony. "Tony, I just cut the seat with your knife. I didn't know it was that sharp and when I pressed down, like I do with my dull knives, it went right through the package and made a gash in the seat."

"Great," Tony answered, sounding a little bit sarcastic. Then we exchanged a few words about me cutting the seat accidentally and that kind of hurt my feelings. Then when I looked down and saw my bloodstained hand I got even with him.

I held up my finger and said, "Well, I hope that you are happy now, because I also nearly cut off my finger with your stupid knife." When T. saw my finger and all of the blood, he ran out of the pen and apologized to me, as he examined my finger. And then he apologized to me again, "Please don't ever pick up or use this kind of knife again, Nance. I should have warned you about it..." Then we hugged each other and then we finished putting the Advantix II on the rest of our dogs.

When we were done we went to the barn and laughed about my cutting-edge-accident with Ben for a few minutes and then I jumped into Kermit and came up to The Cabin, so I could clean my wounded finger and put a Band-Aid on it. Then I drove back up to the barn, with my scissors and a roll of Duct tape, so I could put a patch over the two inch gash that I'd made in Kermit's seat cover.


A few minutes later, around 4:00, the dogs started barking to let us know that the daughter had arrived, to pick up Miranda, so I grabbed my camera and Miranda's adoption form and then Tony and I jumped into Kermit to go meet her.

After we had met Lauren and her friend, they followed us to Lulu's and Miranda's pen and while T. tried to put a leash on one very excited, happy dog, Lauren told me that Miranda's real name was Maddie and that Maddie wasn't ten-years-old—she was actually twelve-years-old. Before they left to take Maddie back home, they thanked us over and over again for rescuing Maddie and then I took this picture of their happy, family reunion.


When I told Kinky all about Miranda/Maddie's story, he was delighted with my good news and he was glad that our Miranda had been reunited with her loving family—all thanks to my dear friend, Harley Belew and those friends of theirs, that listened to him on his popular, morning radio show this morning.

And that is about it for tonight, except for one more thing. This afternoon when I checked my blog and reread what I had written last night, I found a huge spelling error. Because I was so tired, and also because my spelling has literally gone to pot, in the past few years and it just isn't what it used to be, I used the word "through" when I should have used the word "threw" and I am sure that many of you caught my mistake, too and probably thought to yourself, "OMG! And she's stupid, too!" Anyway, I hope that it made you laugh. And please note that it has been corrected.

Y'all had a great evening!

P.S. I purposefully used the word "had" instead of "have" above—in hopes to make you laugh, once again, because laughing is so good for your health.

No comments: