Saturday, February 12, 2011

Kinky Loved It, Too!

Friday was a great day, because Eileen, Lisa and Sharon, our great friends / volunteers, came out! Our dogs and us were so happy to seen them, because it has been over two weeks since we have seen them, because of the cold weather.

When I came outside to greet them, Eileen and Lisa had taken off walking some dogs, so I went down to Annie Oakley's pen where Sharon was busy working her magic on our Annie. After watching Sharon do some miracle work on Annie, she gave Annie a dog treat and told her to rest, and then we had a really fun visit. We love Sharon Griswold of "Rover Misbehaving?"for volunteering her dog training expertise to help make our dogs more adoptable and I truly do believe that she is one of the best dog whispers in Texas.

When we saw Lisa and Eileen returning with Pilgrim and Pumpkin, Sharon and Annie went back to work and I took off to go greet them. After howdies and hugs the laughter commenced as we caught up with each other's news. I was glad to learn that Ellen is doing okay after her hip surgery, but I laughed when they told me that she was no longer a happy camper, since they had taken her off of the morphine and she also doesn't care for the food they are serving her. "She said, "It tastes like cardboard!"" Eileen said, before we started laughing again.

Before leaving the rescue ranch to go eat lunch in Medina, I showed Eileen and Lisa my latest work in the Space Ship and they loved it and could not believe how much work I have done to it and that made my day, because I am so proud of it.

When Sharon and Annie were finished with their dog training session—Sharon hugged us and wished us a Happy Valentines Day and then she gave us a basket full of delicious, heart-shaped chocolates.

So now I want to do a couple of shout-outs—"Thank You, Sharon, Lisa and Eileen! We love you as much as our dogs do and we cannot thank y'all enough for all of the good work that you do!" And this shout-out is for our sweet friend Ellen Jackson—"Just Say No To Drugs!" We love the picture that Eileen e-mailed to us, of you in the hospital bed, but I am not going to post it because you look a little too happy, if you know what I mean!

After lunch I spent most of my day checking and rechecking my e-mail, as I worked non-stop on "My Secret Project," in hopes that Sandy Wolfmueller would send me her cheese grits recipe, because I could not wait to fix it.

At five-thirty the phone rang and I decided to keep working on my top secret project, and let Carlton take the call. "Hi, Nancy, this is Sandy. I'm calling to find out if you cooked the cheese grits recipe and if you liked it. Call me. Bye."

"What? Sandy hasn't sent me the recipe," I thought, as I got up and grabbed the phone and called her right back. "Hi Sandy, it's Nance. I was working on my secret project when you called and I haven't received your recipe. I've been checking my e-mail all day for it..."

"What?" Sandy said, sounding a little disappointed. "Nancy, I sent it to you at five-thirty this morning..." A few minutes later the "missing recipe mystery" was solved—Sandy had sent it to an old address of mine that I rarely check.

Today has been great, because I cooked Sandy's cheese grits recipe for lunch, and I had to lie to Tone about it not being Sandy's recipe, because he hates grits with a capital "H." When he took a big, second serving of what I told him was, "Cousin Nancy's Bacon & Cheese Souffle" he started laughing. "Nance, this is really delicious and I like it, but I know that it is Sandy's recipe, because I can taste the grits..."


Later this afternoon I went over to the Lodge with a big slice of Sandy's cheese grits to get Kinky's opinion on them. "Nance, this is absolutely delicious!" He said, as he fed little pieces of it to Sophie, Brownie and Chumley. "You made this? What's in it?"

"Yes Kinky, I made it. Sandy sent me her recipe for it and I love it, too and it is real easy to make. It's got grits, cheese and....." Then I told him about my idea of doing a "Cousin Nancy Stolen Recipes" cookbook and he thought it was a great idea.

When I came home Tony asked me if Kinky liked the cheese grits. "Yes!" I said. "Kinky loved it, too!"

P.S. Thank you, Sandy Wolfmueller for sending me your secret, super delicious recipe that I have now stolen and renamed, "Cousin Nancy's True Grits"recipe.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: