Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Loyce Lane!

This morning after I did my chores my morning started out exciting. On a scale of one to ten for excitement with ten being the highest, I would rate my morning surprise an eight and a half. The rest of my morning and early afternoon dropped down to a four and then around three-thirty it jumped back up to an eight and a half again.

With the dogs fed and the laundry washing in Queen Bee I poured myself a hot cup of Guayaki Yerba Mate organic tea and sat down at the kitchen table to check my e-mail. But before I checked it I decided to go to eBay to see if anyone had placed a bid on my first fasterpiece watercolor painting, "Canyon Of Forgetting" that only took me thirty minutes to paint, because I used my hair dryer to speed-dry the paint.

I laughed out loud and nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that my fasterpiece had already received five bids from three serious bidders and the selling price of five dollars that I had set the bidding price to start at, to help cover my shipping and handling costs had more than tripled! I couldn't believe it. We're talking $15.50.

As I continued to laugh, out of curiosity I thought about why anyone would want to buy a stupid Cousin Nancy watercolor fasterpiece, so I checked to see who had placed bids on it. The only bidder's name that I recognized were my good friends Sandy and Jon Wolfmueller of Wolfmuellers Books, which made me laugh even harder and that is when Tony walked inside the trailer and asked me what was so funny.

"It's official T.! I'm a starving artist! Three people have already..." I happily explained, as I showed him the status of my auction fasterpiece item on eBay. "This is so hilarious. I'm calling Wolfmuellers as soon as they open at nine.

"Wolmueller's Books," Jon said, at two minutes past nine, and I burst out laughing.

"Jon, this is Nancy."

"I know."

"I can't believe that y'all bid on my stupid-looking watercolor fasterpiece..." After we laughed about it I said, "If y'all win the auction I will hand deliver it to y'all to save the five dollars shipping and handling cost. Which means the rescue ranch will make a cool $7.75 and so will I. Not bad for thirty minutes of work. What are y'all going to do if you win it—hang it in the bathroom for laughs? I bet Cheryl and Walt Ratliff are going to be greatly relieved too that someone is buying it, because I told them that I was going to give it to them for a Christmas present if no one bought it which probably scared them..."

My day dropped down to a four on the scale of excitement when our phone conversation ended and I started taking care of business doing paperwork, returning phone calls and e-mails, etc.

Kinky called me around one o'clock to tell me that he had some visitors coming out and he wanted to know if we would be around and if it was okay for him to bring them over to meet us and see the rescue ranch.

At three-thirty Kinky and his guests arrived over here and he introduced us to Barry and Ann from Santa Barbara, California and then we got to gabbing. Within two minutes all of us were in the front yard of my writing cabin visiting with Lois Lane, because Ann and Barry were interested in adopting her. "Okay, y'all," I said. "I need for y'all to help me settle a bet that I made with Tony this morning. Isn't Lois Lane the name of Superman's girlfriend? Tony thinks her name is Loyce Lane not Lois." After everyone agreed with me that her name is Lois not Loyce we laughed and teased T. as Lois Lane hammed it up with Barry and Ann—she was working them, because she knew they were thinking about adopting her. She is such a cool dog.

My day shot back up to an eight and a half when Ann said, "We like Lois Lane and I think we want to adopt her. We are going to be in Texas for the next three weeks and I want to come back out to the rescue ranch and spend some time with her until we make a commitment."

"That's what I like to hear," Kinky said. "When you said, "make a commitment" that means that you're going to adopt her in my book." Fifteen minutes after playing with Lois Lane and telling the very nice couple about what a great dog she was I took Ann to meet Nellybelle, another one of our sweet Pit Bulls that she also liked.

Before they left to go with Kinky and Frank to Wolfmueller's Books and then out to eat I signed and gave Ann and Barry copies of my books. I really liked these people and feel almost certain that in a few weeks Lois Lane will be running up and down the beach in Santa Barbara with this super couple.

Y'all have a great evening!

3 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Unrelated to today's blog but is it true? That is, is Kinky going to be on the Imus show tomorrow (Wed.) morning???

cousin nancy said...

Howdy, Mari! This morning when I went over to Kinky's I asked him if he did the Imus In The Morning Show this morning and he said he didn't because he was not scheduled to do it. Please come see us.

Mari of the NoMads said...

My 'source' said that she erred. A 1000 apologies, sahib.

I'm sure you don't want me to visit you right now - not with the mega-sinus infection I have. The drawback to taking medication is that you feel better in the sinus headache/stuffiness departments, but you are a total GROG, and staggering around in a FOG. (Yep, I'm a poet and didn't know it.)

Soon, soon, but probably not until November as this is a busy month for dog competitions.

I'll watch for ya'll in town!