Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Like A Rock! or Oh Henry!

The last few days have been great. Yesterday afternoon Kinky hitched a ride with us to Kerrville, because Mr. Green Jeans was in the shop. "They told me that they think it's the transmission," Kinky said, as the three of us ate lunch at the Acapulco Restaurant.

After a fun lunch, we dropped Kinky off, in the little H-E-B's parking lot. "Thanks for taking me to Kerrville," Kinky said, as he climbed out of Trigger. "I've got to mail some things and then buy a few groceries, before Dylan comes to pick me up and take me back to the ranch."

Then Tony and I took off for the big H-E-B, so Tony could fill up Trigger while I bought a few groceries. Then we came back home.

This morning our good friends Charlie & Ellen came over to drink coffee with us and to give me a present. "Sorry Tony," Charlie teased. "We didn't get you anything because you don't deserve one." Then Charlie reached into his jacket's pocket and handed me the coolest rock. "We got it from our West Texas ranch and it had Cousin Nancy written all over it. It looks like martians decorated it..." Then he gave me the most beautiful rock.

I love collecting rocks and I thanked them for the unique rock. Now this is where y'all come in to play. Can anyone tell me something about what kind of rock this is, because I don't have a clue. If you do please leave me a comment.





Late this morning Tony and I decided to take Trigger to Balser's Northside Automotive, to get him his state inspection, while we ate lunch, next door, at Acapulco, again. So, Tony called our dear friends Kris & Jim to see if they wanted to meet us for lunch, at 12:30.

After we dropped off Trigger, we walked across the parking lot and spotted our friend's car, already parked in Acapulco's parking lot. So when the friendly waiter asked us how many were in our party, we told him that we were meeting friends. Then we looked up and saw Kris & The Mineral Man waving at us, near the back of the restaurant.

As always, Tony and I had a blast eating lunch with Kris & Jim. In fact, we never stopped talking or laughing throughout our delicious meal. And Tony and I did not order the exact same thing.

An hour and a half later, we adios-ed our friends and walked back over to Balser's to pick up Trigger. And we had a pleasant surprise awaiting us. "Your truck doesn't need to be inspected," the friendly woman explained. "They've passed a new law....You don't need to renew the inspection until August when your license plates are due..."

Before we came back home, we made a quick stop at Wild Birds Unlimited, because Tony needed to buy more birdseed. And before we adios-ed Marguerite and Linda we had a fun visit with them. We mainly talked about birds and laughed about our dogs latest antics. "I think I am going to rename Big Foot aka Big Daddy to Henry," I stated. "After Lou Diamond Phillips' character he plays, in Longmire."

"I love Henry," Marguerite said.

Then Tony said, "No, he's my dog and I like Big Foot."

We chuckled, and then I said, "Oh Henry is a much better name for him than Big Foot and besides that he's our dog, Tony..." Then we left the store with Marguerite and Linda laughing about our "what to name him" discussion.

When we got back home Carlton was flashing, on the breakfast bar. We had four new messages. Sandy left one of the messages, "Nancy, Tony. There's a new show on Netflix called Branded and Jon and I love it and y'all are going to love it, too...."

So that's about it for tonight, because I am fixin' to go sit down and watch Branded, while Henry and the rest of our dogs sleep.

Y'all have a great evening! 

3 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Wow Nancy - sometimes our paths do intersect. Just a few days ago I vapor-locked to note my Element's inspection sticker had expired in October. I wasted no time getting to A&A Tire in Kerrville to get a new inspection sticker! (Note: I hadn't been driving my Element so that's why I hadn't noticed the expired sticker, but I just sold my 2013 Sienna and am driving the Element until the 2016 Siennas arrive in Texas - as I already have one on order!)

A&A informed me about the new law too and told me that I didn't need an inspection until July and then handily removed my 10/15 expired sticker for me! I had a hard time believing what they said, but so far I haven't been pulled over by law enforcement. So I suppose it's really true that the state is 'giving' us this freebie gift of 'uninspected' months. Whoda thunk it?

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! I'm glad to know that this happened to you, too. I love the freebie gift of time for car inspections. Trigger is due in August and your's is due in July, so if nothing else let's get our vehicles inspected together. We can do lunch at the Acapulco while Balser's is inspecting our cars! How's that for planning ahead?

Mari of the NoMads said...

Ok I'm marking my calendar for lunch in July at Acapulco's! Let's do this!

As to your rock, I would like to venture a guess (hey, I took 2 semesters of Geology at the University of Houston "back when"!). Ready?

My supposition is that it’s a sedimentary rock since Texas was once under the sea. The red suggests a ferrous substance. West Texas hills USED to be sand dunes, so I’m going to guess the rock is either sandstone or limestone with red mud strata lines as deposited during the late Permian period as the seas withdrew from west Texas. Doesn’t that sound impressive???

Whatever the rock is, it is WAY cool!