Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Life Is Like A Box Of Chocolates!

Yesterday was great. We had many errands to run, in Kerrville, so we called our good friends Kris and Jim and asked them if they wanted to meet us for lunch somewhere and we also asked them to pick the restaurant. And around 1:00 we met them, at The Lake House and we had a really fun lunch with them.

After we adios-ed each other Tony and I went to Wolfmueller's Books, because I needed to drop off Gumbo's (Forrest Gump's) medical history folder and his adoption papers, so Duane and Sherry could swing by and pick them up and take Gumbo's paperwork to their veterinarian, before they come out, this Thursday afternoon, to officially adopt this great dog.

Last week, I had talked several times, on the phone, to Duane. The last time we talked was a week ago today. Duane had called me to see if they could come out, on Thursday, to see our dogs, because they wanted to possibly adopt a big, short-haired dog from us.

I told him that it would be fine, but explained to him that I wouldn't be here to meet them, because early Thursday morning I was going on a research trip with my sister Cindy. Then I quickly added, "But my husband Tony can show y'all our dogs and...."

After I finished telling Duane about Gumbo/Gump and Hank, two of our big, sweet, smart, short-haired, super dogs, he told me that he was having minor hand surgery, on Monday and that he wanted to know if they found a dog that they wanted to adopt, on Thursday, could we please hold the dog for them until his hand had healed. And you can guess what my answer was.

So last Thursday afternoon, while Cindy and I were guiding Sparky, to our destination, Sherry and Duane came out and Tony gave them a tour. And they fell in love with Gumbo aka Forrest Gump, the name that I had given him.

Now back to the future—Yesterday, after we dropped off Gumbo's paperwork and had a fun visit with Sandy and Jon, I called Duane back to tell him that we had just dropped off Gumbo's folder.

When we got back home, we had just missed a phone call from Duane. "Hello Nancy. We just dropped off Gumbo's paperwork at our vet's office and we are heading your way. In hopes that we can adopt and pick up Gumbo today, because we can't wait to take him home. I hope it is okay. Please call me back as soon as you get this message."

Ten seconds later, I said, "Hello Duane. We just got back home and yes, we would love for y'all to come on out...." Then I went down the hall and told Tony, "Tony, they are on their way and we need to go outside and get Gump ready..."

Fifteen minutes later, Sherry and Duane arrived and Gumbo seemed to know what was fixin' to happen, because he is that smart. This sweet couple couldn't wait to be with Gumbo/Gump and they told me that they loved Gumbo's original name and that they were going to call him Gumbo. And they had already bought him a new bed and dog collar and that Gumbo would also be an inside dog, etc. That made Tony and I smile and when I looked over at Gumbo he was smiling, too.


We had a really nice visit with Sherry and Duane talking about how much they love dogs and Gumbo, even though I could tell that Gumbo could not wait to get out of here and hopefully never come back. Here's a pictures I took of Gumbo with them and the other just seconds before he happily jumped inside the back of their SUV to go home.



Kinky, Tony and I are so thrilled about Gumbo finally finding his fantastic forever home. And that Forrest Gump movie, where Sally Field says that famous quote is so true, "That life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." And that is about it for tonight, because I need and want to work on my Part III novella.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: