Sunday, October 4, 2020

Pot Pies! or Little People! or Head In The Sand!

 I have had fun this weekend. Yesterday, while listening to my favorite music—I worked on my mural and it is almost finished. Here is where I am at so far.



This morning while Tony was at work I decided to make some yard art, because I was thinking about my sweet mom and how much I miss her and would love to talk to her.

Actually, I wanted to talk and laugh with her about the time, in the 60's during the holiday season, when my family (all six of us) had to eat pot pies for dinner almost every night for about two weeks. Then we found out why, because after that "Swanson Marathon," while we were at school, Mom single-handedly hung up all of those pot pie tins in our front yard trees. 6 X 7= 42. Times 2 = 84 pot pie tins. Seriously, our front yard trees looked like they had been wrapped in foil instead of toilet paper.

I remember it, because all of my friends teased me about how funny/stupid they looked blowing in the wind and banging against each other.

So I would have to tell my friends and concerned citizens that Mom had read this magazine article about "decorating for the holidays on a budget" by hanging pot pie tins in the trees and then plugging in a Christmas tree color light wheel (red/blue/green/yellow) that would shine on them at night..." 

The sad thing was Mom never purchased the "wheel of lights" probably because she had broke the budget from buying so many Swanson pot pies for us to eat. 

Bottom   Line: My family all got a big laugh about her DIY holiday-yard-art decorating and our neighbors teased Mom about it every Christmas for many, many years.

Anyway, today I made all kinds of yard art using useless kitchen utensils, flower pots, old birdhouses, paint, wire, bells, broken lamp, cd, latches, horseshoe, etc. and like Mom I am proud of them all and Tony thinks they look really cool, too. And here are some pictures of them.








And when I finished my art project, I cleaned up and recycled the useable pieces of my broken (Henry did it) "circle of life" and placed them around the yard. 

This first picture is what's left of the little people. And in Henry's mad-dash across the yard this afternoon, one figure got broken in half, one got decapitated, one lost 1.5 arms and one lost both arms.


I popped the head in the sand, and placed the armless figure outside the pot and I used what was left of the original base and placed an interesting rock on top of it.


Here's the figure with just 1.5 arms. And he doesn't look very happy about it.


Now I must go outside, because I want to get some mowing done before enjoying happy hour with Tony and our four, non-alcohol-drinking, faithful companions.

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

2 comments:

Fay said...

WOW! I love your yard art, Nancy! Poor Henry, he didn't mean it, he was just trying his own D-I-Y! Great to see you being creative again, I'm in a bit of a funk as we are going into more restrictions where we live b/c the COVID cases are going up and up. Anyhow, life will go on.
Tail wags,
Fay

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! I am glad you like my yard art and Henry only spent a short time (20 minutes) in the dog house. I totally understand you being in a funk about all of this Covid mess, etc.

I think just about everyone is sick and tired of all of this crazy world, so hang in there like the rest of us.

Tony told me about the big move that is coming up next month and we are so thrilled for y'all. And I am looking forward to seeing the yard art that you will create. Take care and hugs to you, Ian, the girls and the Texicans.