Sunday, April 5, 2009

I'm Sorry Nance!

This morning, my really old friend, Bess, who is ninety years old, called at five-forty-five, and left a message for me to call her. Bless Bess, she is so sweet. I have known her for over ten years. We met because she loves animals, and our rescue ranch. Bess usually calls me about two to five times a day, to tell me that she is doing fine, and she sends her love to all of us.

When I heard her message, I got out of bed, and returned her call. Bess was fine. She just wanted to say hi. I was wide awake, so I fed our animals, then I did a little paperwork, before Tony took off for Medina.

At ten minutes till eight the phone rang. I figured it was Bess again, and was going to let the machine take the call. "Nancy, this is Carol. Are you there?"

"Hi Carol! It's me! What's up?"

"I'm heading to Bandera to ride horses with a friend, and I just saw a beautiful peacock, on the side of the road on 16—between your cut off and Benton Creek! I just wanted to let you know. I was thinking that it might have been one of your newly rescued peacocks."

"Carol, thanks for letting me know. Tony isn't here, but as soon as he gets home..."

"I will stop at the Old Timer and tell him about it. I'm nearly there."

"Great! Please tell Tony I said 'hi." We laughed. Then I asked Carol for some advice about my knee being sore. Carol told me that I should always take one day off a week from exercise, so my body could rest. I thanked her for her advise, and then we hung up on each other.

When Tony came home he said, "Nance, I didn't see any peacocks, but I did see an old wild turkey. I got a great picture of him, too." Then he picked up the phone, and punched in our neighbor's phone number. "Hi Sherry. I was callling about the peacocks. Do y'all still have the six new ones? Our friend, saw one on 16 this morning." There was a pause. "Great. Bye." After T. put the phone back into the cradle, he said, "It wasn't one of theirs, and Sherry said the birds were doing fine."

"That's good news," I said.

"Are we not eating breakfast this morning?" T. asked.

"We're not eating breakfast here," I said. "We're going to The Save Inn for breakfast. How does that sound? Carol told me that I should always take one day off a week from exercise, and I think that we need a break in our daily routine. Let's go to Kerrville and let Aaron and Josh take care of the chores today."

We arrived at Randy and Lisa's Save Inn Restaurant, a little before ten, and the two of us really had an enjoyable breakfast there! As always, the waitresses were friendly and fun, and our meals were delicious! And, the best part was—Tony talked to me about him starting up a walking program! I was thrilled!

After breakfast, Buttermilk took us to H.E.B., so we could pick up a few more groceries, then she brought us home.

This afternoon, I made Carol's pumpkin bread recipe, because my dear friend, Cindy P., was coming over for a visit. Cindy arrived about four-thirty. Right after she had gotten here—Kinky called. "Nance, we need to talk about..." Kinky was on a roll and had a lot of information to share with me!

"Kink, listen. I've got company over here right now, and this is not a..."

"I'm sorry, Nance," Kinky said. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I couldn't, because you wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise, Kink." We both started laughing.

After Cindy left the ranch, Tony and I went out to the garden, to cover up the plants, because we might have a light frost in the morning, even though the San Antonio weatherman, last week, swore that we were done with anymore freezes! And, he is now predicting another freeze for Tuesday morning, too! I hope not, and for the first time—I'm hoping he is wrong!

Y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you heard about