Monday, May 6, 2013


Today has been great. Kinky called me at 9:13, from La Guardia Airport, in New York City. It was so good to hear his voice. He sounded up and excited about returning to the ranch, this evening. After we talked about The Friedmans we adios-ed each other. Then Tony and I went outside to work.

Late this morning, after Tony and I did our morning chores outside, Paul, one of our great volunteers, came out to deliver some free dog food and while we were helping him unload the back of his pickup, two cars drove in, so I went to go greet whoever it was.

After introductions, the three nice married couples told us they had come to Kerrville for a family union. They were very interested in our rescue ranch and they were all big fans of Kinky. I visited with them, by the pigpen, for about twenty minutes. Then I gave them a grand tour of our rescue ranch and I really enjoyed it.

Five minutes after they left to go eat lunch at The Apple Store, in Medina, Tony and I took off for Medina too, so we could run a couple of errands.

Our last stop before coming home was at The Old Timer. When we pulled up, Tony got out of Trigger to go buy some milk. As he passed a man filling up his truck I saw the man say something to Tony and then pointing to our pickup and then Tony went into the store.

I thought the older man seemed friendly as he smiled at me and started walking towards Trigger, so I rolled down the window. I figured he wanted to talk to me about our rescue ranch, but I was wrong. "I knew you were Ronnie's little sister, because y'all look just alike," he said.

"Yes, I am."

"I'm Burl A. and I live in Dripping Springs, too. Been friends with Ronnie for a long time and even jammed with him and his friends. I doubt if you remember, but I called you several months ago about a dog."

"Hi, Burl. Yes, I do remember you. Your friend in California was sick and might not make it and I told you that we could help you with his dog if things turned out badly."

"Well, I just wanted to thank you for being there for my friend and his dog. My friend's operation was a success and he's now healthier than I am..."

After Burl drove away, Tony returned to the truck. "Who was that?" Tony asked.


"When I walked past him he asked me if you were Ronnie's little sister and I told him yes you were. Then he asked me if it would be alright with me if he talked to you. I told him sure." As we drove away I told Tony Burl's story.

As soon as we got back home I called Ronnie and told him the funny story about running into Burl and he thought it was pretty funny, too. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: