Thursday, January 1, 2015

A Good Sign! or Not So Fast!

Today has been great even though it has been a gray, chilly and damp day—not my kind of weather. Early this morning, I fixed Tony and me big servings of the Mean Green juice. Then I reluctantly, because of the weather, went outside with him to do our morning chores.

Around noon, I juiced all kinds of fresh fruit for my lunch, while I defrosted an Cutlet and fixed it for Tony's lunch, along with the last of the leftover sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts. The Cutlet is a delicious, easy to make, meatless burger and it is a real winner, at our trailer. We both love it, so I fix it often. And today for Tony's lunch, I spread that secret BBQ sauce on top of it and Tony said it was the best ever.

For those of you who keep asking me for some of my healthy, delicious recipes, here's the Cutlet recipe.
Cutlets
Entrees
Prep 10 mins Cook 45 mins Makes 4 serving Difficulty Easy
Ingredients
               1/2 cup chopped walnuts
               I cup cottage cheese
               1/4 cup minced onion
               2 eggs, beaten
               1/2 cup fine bread crumbs (I used zesty seasoned fine bread crumbs)
               1/2 tsp salt
               around 6-8 leaves minced fresh sage 
               1 tbsp flour
Directions
Mix all ingredients together. I use the food processor. I chop the onions and walnuts separately in the processor, then put all the ingredients in and pulse them until mixed. The mixture is very sticky. Drop about 1/2 cup of mixture into an oiled skillet, forming patties. Daniel uses butter. Cook slowly over medium low heat, browning on both sides. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 300 degree oven for about 30 minutes. 

This recipe suggests serving it with mushroom gravy, but Tony strongly suggest BBQ sauce since today. (And we've never served it with mushroom gravy.)

After lunch, we bundled up and took off for Kerrville, because I was running low on my supply of fresh fruits and vegetables, for my 3 - 5 day fast. When we were going over the pass the temperature dropped five degrees down to 30 degrees and there was some ice on the trees. So Tony stopped Trigger so he could take a few pictures. While he was snapping away, I rolled down the window and took this picture of a road sign that had ice on it. When I told Tony about the ice being on the sign, he said, "I know but it is melting."

I looked back at the ice melting off the sign and said, "Well, that's a good sign." Here's my picture of a good sign. You can see the ice on the left corner of the sign.


When Tony and I got back home I made a blackberry cobbler for Tony. It looked so tasty, covered in whipping cream, I confess that I ended up eating a bowl of it, too—breaking my fast. But not so fast before you judge me, because I mainly ate the blackberries (covered in whipping cream).

This afternoon Eileen sent me another e-mail concerning the secret BBQ sauce. Eileen wrote:

I read the blog!  Drats!


You know my birthday is February 10th, and all I want for my birthday is a bowl of that BBQ sauce! Better yet, I think Kris's is in January, so I think you should make her a bowl of that BBQ sauce so we can have it with our Koyote Grill birthday lunches!
I am a BBQ sauce aficionado! I have been known to drive miles out of my way to buy BBQ sauce!  I can eat it like soup!
Okay, one last guess in 2014. Does it have any kind of chopped nuts in it? And one more - does it have V8 juice in it?  Would you even tell me if I'm right???!!!

Sadly Eileen's latest two guesses are not in Jim's friend's, Jim's or my secret BBQ sauce recipe and I wish that I could tell her the recipe, but I am sworn to secrecy. There is one cool thing about Eileen's obsession with the ingredients in our secret BBQ sauce recipe—I already know that I am going to make her a big batch of the secret BBQ sauce for her birthday! And before I do, I am going to talk to Jim about throwing in one or two an extra ingredients, just in case she takes it to a lab and gets it analyzed.


Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: