Friday, September 27, 2013

Dale Evans!

Today has been great. Early this morning Suzanne, one of our super volunteers, came out and started walking our dogs for us. Not long after that, our friend, Eileen, a famous member of the Fab 4 volunteers, brought along her sweet sister Dean, who is visiting her for a few days. Our friend, Lisa, another famous member of the Fab 4 volunteers, played chauffeur for them and delivered Eileen and Dean to the rescue ranch, so they could walk our dogs.

The volunteers and everyone at the rescue ranch loves Eileen and Dean, because they are so much fun to be around, because they are so funny and they keep all of us laughing. When I went outside to greet them and to thank them for coming out, we hugged each other and immediately started laughing at one of their remarks. "Y'all are so much alike, y'all could pass as twins," I said.

When they took Rocky and Rockett for a walk, I tagged along, because they are so much fun to be around and when I am with them all we seem to do is laugh. So, this morning with those two was a lot of fun for me, because I love to laugh as much as I can.

For the past two weeks our friends/volunteers and us have been secretly talking and e-mailing back and forth about doing June's belated surprise birthday party. And today we pulled it off. Yesterday, while Tony and I were in Kerrville, we went to H-E-B and picked up a birthday cake for June's surprise, but not forgotten birthday, which was back in August. She's a Leo, like Tony is.

On our way home we stopped at the Medina Highpoint Resort. When I walked inside I saw my friend Pete. "Hi, Pete. I need a favor. Tomorrow we're having a surprise birthday party here and I was wondering if y'all would let me drop off the cake?"

"Sure Nancy, not a problem," Pete said. "Listen, I have just finished reading your two hilarious novellas and I loved them. I never quit laughing. I want to talk to you about a couple of ideas I have...."

After talking to Pete and getting excited about his proposals, Sarah, at the other counter said, "Nancy, I love your books. I read them straight through and since I spent over twenty years in publishing, I want to talk to you about a few ideas that I have...." As soon as we got home I called Carol and told her my good news.

Around 11:30 this morning, after the volunteers had walked our dogs, we drove up to Medina Highpoint Resort, to surprise June and to eat lunch and it was a total blast. First off, we really surprised June, when she and Ellen walked inside. June's birthday cake was sitting on the table, surrounded with gifts and cards and we all hollered, "Happy Birthday, June!."


When June sat down at the table she first opened up Tony's and my two presents, wrapped in foil. She laughed out loud when she opened up one and discovered that it was an alien-attracting-helmet, that I had personally made for her. Then she immediately put the pot pie helmet on top of her head and tied it on. Then she opened up our second gift and seemed to be thrilled to get a signed copy of The Cowgirl Sisterhood: Death In New Mexico. Then she asked Carol, Brandon and Tony to also sign it. "This book is now worth a lot of money," she teased. We all laughed.

"Then I am going to be watching eBay more often," I joked.


Everyone burst out laughing at June, wearing her custom made alien-attracting-helmet. Then Carol joked, "I bet you could get out of jury duty, wearing that helmet." During our super fun lunch, I took a cute picture of Dean and Eileen, posing for me. Dean is the one on the left.


After everyone had finished eating lunch, June got up and borrowed a spatula and a giant knife, that looked like a sword. When she returned she made a wish and then blew out the candle and started to cut slices of cake. Look at the size of that blade!


Late this afternoon, we rescued a dog that was dumped along with her sister, on Deanna's ranch, in Uvalde. Deanna and I have been playing phone tag and have been talking back and fourth on the phone this past week about her bringing Frieda to us on Saturday. Frieda's sister was luckily adopted by one of their friends.

It turned out that it would be better if Deanna brought her later today and after a really fun conversation with her, about Frieda, dogs, ranch life, etc. she offered to drive Frieda straight to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, because she was going to have dinner tonight, in Kerrville, with her sister. 

Before we adios-ed each other, we discovered that we have a lot in common, she and her sister are maybe going to drive out here this evening to meet me. (Tony and Brandon will be gone, because they are going to a Medina High School football game.) I promised to give them a tour of the rescue ranch, including The Bunkhouse, my writing cabin, Outer Space, our screened-in porch and show them the inside of The Cabin. I am dying to meet her and her sister and I hope that they do come out. Oh yes, she also can't wait to meet Carol, because they are both big time cowgirls, so we are going to do lunch soon with her and her sister, in Kerrville. 

I hope Deanna and her sister really do come out tonight, because I just took that old bedspread that Tony's dog, Beau, has enjoyed chewing up and have just replaced it with my brand new bedspread. I love how our bedroom looks, but as soon as Deanna and her sister leave, the new bedspread is going back into it's plastic bag and the old raggedy one will replace it. And that is about it for tonight, because now I need to drag Hazel out of our bedroom closet, so it won't look like we live here.


P.S. As soon as Deanna and I adios-ed each other I called Susan, at Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic. "Hi, Susan. It's Nancy. We've got a rescue dog coming in tonight. The woman's name is Deanna and I am naming this dog, Dale Evans." Susan chuckled.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: