Monday, August 15, 2016

I Love you, Roy!

This morning when I woke up I was immediately depressed, because I knew that we had to take Roy Rogers, to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, to get a veterinarian to check him out.

About a week ago Roy had a lump on his lower front leg and it was about a quarter of an inch tall and as wide as a Q-tip. I decided to wait a few days to see if it would go away.

The next morning we checked old Roy's leg and the lump had disappeared, but now there was a small indention and it was red and stayed that way for a couple of more days, then another much tinier lump appeared and I caught Roy licking it often.

On Friday, when we met Kris & Jim for lunch, at a restaurant, I told our friends about Roy's leg and Kris and Jim both suggested that we should get it checked out, because it might be cancer.

Hearing them say the dreaded "C" word was what I was really scared of and in the back of my mind I had already thought that, but I just didn't want to face my fears, because I love Roy Rogers so much, because he's been my loyal, faithful companion for almost five years. December 22, 2011 to be exact.

So this past weekend, I tried to avoid thinking about it, because I didn't want my Roy to have cancer.  But every now and then when I would catch Roy licking his leg, I would go check his leg and nothing had changed.

This afternoon Tony and I took Roy to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic. Roy seemed to enjoy the ride, but I didn't, because I was so scared of possibly hearing the vet tell us that, "Roy has cancer."

When we arrived Susan greeted us and then I told her all about Roy's leg. The veterinarians were busy and the lobby was full, so we agreed to leave Roy there so the vets could check him out when they had time, while Tony and I went to the big H-E-B to buy dog food for the rescue ranch and for me to pick up a few groceries.

When we returned to the clinic, both vets were in the examination rooms seeing patients and Susan was on the phone telling someone how to give a dog a pill, while a smiling woman, hugged her cute, little dog, in her arms, patiently waited so she could pay her bill. And all that I could do was silently pray that Roy did not have cancer.

A few minutes later, while Tony was in the restroom, Dr. Jay Rydberg walked into the lobby and when he saw me, he said, "Nancy, I think Roy is going to be fine. He has (it sounded like he said Licktosis) which is caused by excessive licking. I gave him a shot to stop his itching and I treated the sore and wrapped it in gauze, so he can't lick at it. He needs to take four pills a day, for two weeks and then you need to bring him back so we can take a look at his leg, clean the area and change out the gauze and if it is not getting better  then we'll go on from there." And you cannot image how big my smile was when I heard this great news.

Then Dr. Rydberg politely asked a woman, in the lobby, to bring her dogs into one of the examination rooms. Seconds later Tony walked back into the lobby, and I said, "Roy doesn't have cancer!..."

And a minute later when Susan and Roy walked into the lobby, and all I could say was, "I love you, Roy. Let's go home big buddy." So as you can see today has been more than a great day for me and for Roy. And I took this picture of Roy as soon as we got back home. Life is good.



Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

6 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Who wouldn't love Roy and that 'sugar face' of his? I'm so glad you rescued him!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! I totally agree with you. Rescuing Roy is one of the best things that's ever happened to me. He is so special to me and lovable. Just looking at him always puts a smile on my face no matter what is going on. And that's whyI think that everyone should have a least one dog, simply because their love is unconditional. Dog's Rule!

Fay said...

OMG, I can't help but smile when I see Roy. He's such a big love bug, can't wait to hug and kiss him again. So glad he only has "licktosis" (classic new Nancyism LOL) and hope for a speedy "Roycovery" for that sweet, sweet boy.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! Roy and us are looking forward to your next visit with Ian. Talk about a Nancyism, I love your Fayism "Recovery!" I am still chuckling about it.

Jacquelin Cangro said...

Such good news! Glad to hear that Roy is OK.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Jacquelin! Roy Rules!