Thursday, May 28, 2015

Elk and Howlin' Wolf!

Today has been great. Early this morning, before I took off for my 3rd Blues workshop, at the Kerrville Folk Festival, Tony reminded me that if I ever get lost again, I should stay where I am and sit down and wait, because eventually I'll be found. And he asked me to please call him as soon as I arrive at my destination.

I appreciated Tony's concern about me getting lost all of the time, but his advice didn't make sense to me, so I told him, "Tony, I can't just go sit down and wait if I get lost, at the folk festival, because for one thing I won't be able to get myself back up without asking a volunteer to help me, a snake or some fire ants might come along and get me and besides that everyone will think that I am really stoned out of my head. So if I get lost today I will just stop and ask someone for directions to the Threadgill Theater." Tony chuckled, looked down and just shook his head sideways. Then he asked me if he could take a picture of my 3rd poser outfit, before I took off, in Trigger.

When Trigger and I pulled out and turned left, on 16, I hadn't driven fifty feet, when I had to stop, because there was a huge, confused-looking elk crossing the highway, to our side of the road.  When he made to our side, across the street from the Medina Children's Home, I drove slowly past him, so not to spook him. I wanted to help him get back to our neighbor's ranch, that he had escaped from, but I didn't, because I knew that elks can be dangerous and hurt you. So I whispered a little prayer for the big guy instead.

So when I arrived and parked, at the folk festival's parking lot, I immediately called Tony.

"Hello?" Tony said. "Thanks for calling me. Are you lost or did you make it to the theater?"

"I've made it to the parking lot, but that's not why I am calling you, Tony." After I had told him about the poor, lost elk, he told me that he call our neighbors to let them know.

Before we adios-ed each other again, Tony asked me, to please call him if and when I arrived at Threadgill's. And ten minutes later I happily called Tony back to let him know that I had arrived, at the workshop.

Reverend Robert B. Jones' awesome Blues Guitar workshop today was unbelievably great! We started out tuning our guitars to open G and, in no time flat, Reverend Robert had all of us learning how to strum and play super cool riffs just like the Blues legends: Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, etc. 

And everyone was wearing smiles, on their faces, as we practiced and jammed together, because Reverend Jones is such a fabulous musical instructor/musician that he had taken the mystery out of the Blues and made it so easy and simple for us to learn and understand. 

No one wanted his awesome Blues workshop to come to an end today, because we were having so much fun and excited about what all we had learned about playing the Blues, in the past three days. So on my way back home I decided that I am going to save up my money, so I can attend his unbelievably great workshop, next year and hopefully my dear friend Ryan Hatch will be able to attend it with me. "Thank you, Donna and Ryan Hatch for giving me Ryan's ticket to Reverend B. Jones' more than awesome Blues workshop! It was a total blast!"

When I got back home, Tony told me that I needed to call Kinky. So I called Kinky. We talked about the weather, The Friedmans, me getting lost yesterday, him also seeing several lost elk, on the highway today and my Blues workshop. And five minutes ago, Kinky called me again, "Nance, do you want to come over and go on a hike with me and The Friedmans?"

And that is about it for tonight, because I am going over to Kinky's, right now, so we can go hiking.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: