Monday, December 8, 2014

Sweet & Sour! or Blowing In The Wind!

Today, Day 10 of my raw fruit and vegetables fast, has been great, even though it has been F.M.T. (Full Moon Time). This morning Tony and I drank our Mean Green Juice, then we went outside and did our chores.

Early this afternoon we went, to Kerrville, to run a few errands. Our first stop was at the Next Generation Produce to celebrate the last day of my fast, by drinking one of their tasty, healthy juices. We were tempted to order their super delicious Pear Bear juice, but at the last minute, we decided to try their juice that has sweet potato in it. And we loved it, too.

Then we went to the big H-E-B, on Main Street, to buy more fruits and vegetables. Then we came back home, because our dear friend Garnet was coming over, at 3:00, to return Ginger to us, because Ginger, the beautiful, Alpha Boxer, had become way too aggressive with their other two dogs, especially with Bear.

Last night, Garnet had sent me the sweetest, heart wrenching note telling me how sad they were that Ginger had not worked out with their other two dogs and she told me how much they loved Ginger. They were sick about having to bring Ginger back to us and they wished that Ginger and Bear could have gotten along, but it had escalated to the point that they had to keep Ginger separated from the other two, because they feared that something really horrible might happen to Ginger or Bear the next time they got together.

I felt her tears and sadness and I replied to Garnet, telling her that I completely understood and I thanked them for giving Ginger a try and for them not to feel bad at all, "It just wasn't meant to be. Having two, big, Alpha dogs were too much for them to handle and it would be too much for me too..."

When Tony and I arrived at the rescue ranch, Tony and I decided to get things ready for Ginger's arrival, before going up to The Cabin, to unpack our groceries, so Tony parked Trigger by the barn.

As Tony was leashing up Tuesday Weld, to move her to the alley between Mandy's & Bandy's pen and B.B. King's new pen, in hopes that Tuesday and B.B. might become fast friends, Garnet arrived with Ginger.

When Garnet got out of her truck, I could tell that she had been crying. "Garnet, please don't feel bad about this. It just wasn't meant to be. I promise. Nine times out of ten when a dog gets returned to us, that dog usually gets adopted within two to three weeks to the home it was meant to be in." Garnet and I hugged each other, then she apologized and apologized to us for having to return Ginger, which was not necessary at all, so I changed the subject. "How is old Buddy doing?" I asked.

"Buddy is doing great in my daughter's family home. He is loved and he has blended in nicely and all is good there..." Then Tony leashed up Ginger and walked her over to her new pen. Ginger seemed happy to see Tony and she liked her new pen, next to the barn. In fact, she didn't seem to be upset at all about coming back to us, because she immediately started smelling the trees and checking out her dog house. And when Garnet went over to tell her goodbye, Ginger sniffed her hand and wagged her stubby tail and then trotted off to go check out the rest of her new digs. In other words, Ginger was fine.

Early this evening I went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky and his author friend Bob, visiting him from Louisiana. Bob is the nice man who adopted Mama, our three-legged Pit Bull, back in 2007, that John K. delivered to his doorstep, in Louisiana. When Kinky, Bob, The Friedmans and I went on a short hike, Bob told us, "Mama, is still doing great, but she is starting to slow down a little...."

Just before dark-thirty Trigger returned me to the rescue ranch, so I could finish cooking a new bean recipe that I wasn't sure Tony would like. As you know, we love pinto beans and we eat a lot of them around here, but this recipe, on the back of the H-E-B package, was Sweet & Sour Great Northern Beans.

We've never heard of or eater sweet & sour beans of any kind, but let me tell you—those beans were totally delicious! In fact, Tony took a second serving of them and he told me that he loved them.

Later on tonight when we go to bed, I'll decide if I am ever going to cook that recipe again, by closely monitoring the noise level and how high our sheets rise. Sort of like that old Johnny Cash song, How High Is the Water, Mama? But ours will be, How High Is the Blanket, Tony? Or Peter, Paul & Mary's famous song, Blowing In The Wind.

P.S. I'll keep y'all posted if I don't get blown away.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: