Monday, December 29, 2014

One Giant Leap!

12:18 PM: Today has been great so far. As I am writing this the sun is shinning brightly outside and Tony and I are fixin' to go meet our dear friends Kris & Jim for lunch, at The Cracker Barrel, in Kerrville.

Early this morning, Tony did all of the chores outside while I stayed warm inside, The Cabin, doing a bunch of end-of-the-year paperwork.

When Tony and I took off, in Trigger, to go to Kerrville, a great idea popped into my head or so I thought. When we were going over the Kerrville pass, I asked Tony, "What was that famous quote that astronaut Neil Armstrong said, when he stepped on the moon?"

"I think he said, "This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." "Nance, why are you asking me this?" After I told him about my idea, he chuckled.

A little while later, when Tony and I arrived, at The Cracker Barrel, we found Kris and Jim, sitting in rocking chairs, on the restaurants front porch. And after I complimented Kris on her pretty, baby blue workout shoes we opened the doors to enter the crowded restaurant, located near IH-10.

As we walked inside, an older woman looked at Kris feet, and said,"I love your blue shoes." Kris thanked her and then she blushed all of the way to our table.

Our lunch was delicious and it was a lot of fun. Kris and I ordered the same thing: Grilled Apple Cider BBQ Chicken Breast with green beans and a baked sweet potato. While we ate our lunch Kris and Jim told us some funny stories and they showed Tony and me some really cool things to do with our cell phones.

When Kris and I started raving about how delicious the chicken was, Jim told us about his friend's delicious, secret BBQ sauce, "I think it is the best BBQ sauce ever made and the ingredients are a combination of Texas BBQ sauce, Kansas BBQ sauce and North Carolina BBQ sauce..." So of course, I begged for the recipe.

After the nice waiter had removed our dinner plates and had handed us our tickets Kris decided to order their apple cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, so I ordered their blackberry cobbler with ice cream too, since I am fixin' to start my 3 - 5 day raw fruits and vegetable fast, on New Year's Day.

Even though I felt guilty for ordering a dessert, which I never do and I certainly didn't need, I was pleasantly surprised when the waiter served Kris and me our delicious looking cobblers, so I grabbed my phone and took pictures before we enjoyed eating them.



After eating our delicious desserts and before we had paid for our lunch, Jim told us that he would take Kris home and print out a copy of the secret BBQ sauce recipe and then meet us, at the Big H-E-B, on Main Street, so I could buy the necessary ingredients to make his friend's secret BBQ sauce. Then we temporarily adios-ed each other and took off in different directions.

Twenty minutes later, after having filled up our grocery cart with mainly fruits and vegetables, Jim walked up to us, on Isle 13, and handed me a copy of his friend's secret Rub and BBQ sauce recipe. 

After we thanked Jim for getting the recipe to me so quickly, we adios-ed each other again and then I took off to go buy the secret rub and sauce ingredients, because tomorrow I am planning on grilling some chicken breasts and using the recipes for our lunch. "Thank you, Jim! I can't wait to make the rub and sauce tomorrow and I really do promise not to share this recipe. I know it is a first for me not to share stolen recipes from friends, but this time it will be our little BBQ secret."

This afternoon after we got back home I went to work on my project that I had earlier told Tony about. First, I took this picture of Little Debbie's darling crib that our friends/volunteers gave to me for my 63rd birthday, in October. (And please note that Eileen made the adorable, striped mattress.)


Then I grabbed a piece of scrapped bedspread that Beau, Alice and Little Debbie had enjoyed destroying, months ago and I covered the mattress and pad.


Then I put Little Debbie's crib next to our bed, in hopes that Little Debbie will use it as a step, to help her leap up on our bed, without our help.


Then I asked Roy, Belle, Beau and Alice to please go outside. Once they were gone I grabbed several tiny dog treats and took Little Debbie into our bedroom. With my camera ready to grab, I put little treats on top of the crib's bedspread. Little D. then jumped up and leaned on the crib to eat them, even though she needs "treats" like I needed that blackberry cobbler that I ate earlier today.

After giving Little Deb eight more treats, I started putting them on top of our torn and ragged bedspread, in hopes that she would jump all of the way up on our bed to eat more. And she almost did it, but couldn't, because she is overweight!

So as I finish writing this tonight, I realize that Little Debbie wanted to make one giant leap for Chihuahuas, but she just couldn't do it. And she gained two more ounces trying to accomplish her mission impossible, even though it was very obvious to me that she was really enjoying eating all of those bribery doggie treats that I was feeding her. 

And I confess that I tried to have the willpower not to eat that blackberry cobbler and I couldn't do it, too. So even though all this weighs heavy on my soul and hips—I must admit that I totally enjoyed eating every delicious bite of that blackberry cobbler, with the melting ice cream, even though I am sure that I've gained another pound. So starting New Year's Day, Little Debbie and I are both going on strict diets to shed our extra ounces and pounds. So wish us luck!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: