Monday, November 24, 2014

Ruth Buzzi Rules! or Ten Days And Counting! or Almost Ready To Go!

This past Thursday, Tony and I went over to Kinky's lodge, around 5:00, so Tony could take a short video of Kinky and me saluting our dear friend Ruth Buzzi, for an upcoming Tribute to Ruth Buzzi, that was held for her, this past weekend.

Ours was to be a secret video, at the time and Ruthie knew nothing about her sweet husband Kent, Kinky, Tony and me doing it, along with many of her famous celebrity friends, such as Willie Nelson, that were all sending in their video tributes, too. We did this video in just one take and it is short, but because I am technology challenged or just plain stupid, it took me several hours of frustration trying to figure out how to reduce its gigantic 335 megabyte size, so I could get it to Kent, so he could pass it on to sweet Tara and then she could pass it on to the video editor. You can check our video out, on YouTube by clicking: We Love Ruth Buzzi, Too!

Saturday evening, I watched two fabulous documentaries, back-to-back, on Netflix. The first one was Burt's Buzz and it was about the life of Burt Shavitz, the co-founder of Burt's Bees' products. Then I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead by Joe Cross and it inspired me so much, it has and is going to change Tony's and my lifestyle food choices.

So Sunday morning, right after we did our morning chores outside, we went to Belk's, in Kerrville, so I could buy us a juicer and buy some organic vegetables, at the big H-E-B, on Main Street, because I could not wait to start juicing, once again.

Many years ago, Tony and I juiced everyday for at least two years, until we purchased Jaws, our fabulous Vitamix machine. I held on to our juicer for a couple of years and I stored it in our bedroom closet aka The Wine Cellar aka Hazel's Hangout and our clothes. And a few years back, I finally feng-shued it and gave it to the Salvation Army with no regrets until I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Here's what we bought!


And this is where it now lives. On the second shelf, above my red, hand-painted "May The Dog of Your Choice Bless You" sign, near the refrigerator.


Today has been a great day. This morning, before we went outside to do our chores, I asked Tony to please watch Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, with me, because I knew this informative documentary would inspire him, too. 

Before we watched this great documentary, Tony and I made the Joe Cross' "Mean Green" detox juice recipe, that Joe drinks, in the film and it was surprisingly delicious. Then we sipped our super healthy juice while we watched Joe and Phil shed hundreds of pounds, by only juicing vegetables and fruits. And after we watched it, Tony was as inspired as me.

This afternoon Tony and I went to Randy's & Lisa's Save Inn restaurant, because we were going to eat lunch with Kinky and Donna Hatch. All of us love Donna. She is one of the most upbeat people we know and because she is always ready for a laugh. So needless to say, "We laughed throughout our delicious meal.

At one point in our fun conversation, I told Kinky and Donna about us watching Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. Donna seemed really interested and wanted to know more, so I said, "Donna, I am seriously thinking about doing Joe's ten day juice fast and starting it the day after Thanksgiving. In fact, that's why I'm eating this chicken-fried steak today." 

"Let's do it together!" Donna said. "It will be more fun and we can help each other not fall off of the wagon."

"It says the first three days are the hardest," I warned.

"I know we can do it!" Then we talked about our upcoming "ten days and counting" juicing experiment. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

10 comments:

mary sanders said...

Nancy, I take my diet from my mother-in-law who grew up as a share croppers daughter in Georgia. It's pretty much fat back, greens and sweet potatoes. I buy fresh veggies in season, and stay away from anything in a box. My Italian background is pretty much "beans and greens". It's healthy and tasty. I think our grand parents did OK with a limited diet. Many lived to a good old age!

Mari of the NoMads said...

Ok, did y'all get a DeLorean? Or do you have another means of time travel? (And I know you're somehow in touch with Roswell space aliens, so if you can't tell me, I'll understand.)

I refer to your recording something for an "upcoming" tribute to Ruth Buzzi "that was held this past weekend".

Ok, cue the ole 'head tilt'. Huh? Would you care to elaborate?

Inquiring minds want to know!

cousin nancy said...

I love you, Mari, for making me laugh constantly with your e-mails and keeping me in stitches or whatever "keeping me in stitches" is supposed to mean.

No, we did not a get a DeLorean, but I want one and I know that that isn't going to happen. We didn't get the video to Kent by Space travel either, but that would have been really cool. And the aliens didn't help either. LOL! : )

Because the video file was so huge, I couldn't send it by e-mail or iPhone text, because the file was too big, so I finally had to put it into iTunes and finally got it reduced down to only 22 megs, which is still big. Then I uploaded it to YouTube. Then I e-mailed Kent the link and he grabbed it from there. I love technology!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mary! "Beans and Greens" sounds like a great healthy diet, but I don't know what "fat back" means.
Since we haven't met in person, yet, do you have a "fat back?"

You don't have to answer, because I can call Sandy & Jon tomorrow morning, at Wolfmueller's Books, if they remember you to find out if you had a "fat back."

LOL! I am teasing you, even though I honestly don't know what "fat back" is. Keep on laughing, and think about joining Donna and me when we only juice, for ten long days!

Mari of the NoMads said...

So has the Ruth Buzzi tribute already happened or is it upcoming? Please answer this 'oh, sweet mystery of life' question in simple terms for those of us without DeLoreans, since we can't travel forwards and backwards to find out for ourselves!

(I apologize that I can't make heads or tails of your technical response above because I am permanently tech-impaired since I have no available RAM left for any hope of changing that.)

mary said...

Nancy, I don't have a fat back, but I do have a Tubby tummy! Fat back is bacon. It's all the poor folks could afford. I don't currently have a juicer, but I could do my cabbage soup diet for 10 days. It's lots of cabbage and roughage. I will give some serious thought to this experiment, Nancy. We'll see if we're all laughing at about day 7 of the 10 days!!!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mary! Sandy and Jon have also confirmed that you don't have a fat back and thank you for letting me know what fat back is. Donna and I would love for you do the fast with us and the cabbage soup diet works for us, because we will all be detoxing our bodies. I think Donna and I are going to start our diet on Saturday, after the leftovers are gone. : ))

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! Yes, the Ruth Buzzi tribute was this past weekend. I wish that I was a nerd, because it all gets pretty confusing for me, too. Basically, all I did was secretly put the video on YouTube without announcing it to any one, but Kent. Kent then went to the YouTube link I sent him and he shared it with Tara, who shared it with the video editor. I guess you could say it was magic! : ))

mary said...

OK, you're on for the detox. I agree that we need to wait for the leftovers to be eaten. It would be too much temptation. I'm thinking of doing my ham with pineapple and clove and wrapping it all in bacon. Sounds great. I'll report later. You folks have a great Thanksgiving and I'm very happy that no one thought I had a fat back. LOL!

cousin nancy said...

Laugh out loud, Mary! It's okay to have a fat back, even though I know that you don't. If anyone is doubting the size of your back, just ask them to call Sandy or Jon, because they are the ones that have met you and they can reassure them that you don't have a fat back. Happy Thanksgiving!