Monday, November 8, 2010

When Goats Cry And Dogs Fly!

Even though I am a little tired from today's events, today has been great for several reasons. My day was already made for me by seven minutes past eight this morning, when I successfully reset our awesome Atomic clock! When Tony returned from the Old Timer he asked why I was grinning from ear to ear, just as I was finishing walking my sixth mile with Leslie. "You figure it out," I teased. "Look around."

As I prepared "Cousin Nancy's Porridge" for his breakfast, which is just oatmeal topped with blueberries, raisins, a banana and a spoonful of Leisa's and Rick's honey from their bees, T. looked around and around and around, but couldn't figure it out, so I told him to look at our Atomic clock and then I bragged about figuring out how to reset it. "Good,"was all he said, because he doesn't talk much or get as excited about things like I do. Anyway, I was thrilled.

Last Thursday my blog was about three dogs and a goat named Buddy, who were in desperate need of a home and I have got some good news. The next day a woman named Elena called me at the rescue ranch wanting to adopt a Poodle. Since we didn't have any Poodles here, I told her about Angel, Grayson's and Carla's sweet, little eight year old Poodle and then I gave her their phone number. Then I called Grayson and told him about Elena possibly wanting Angel and then I said, "Grayson, I know that y'all have run out of time to find your pets a home. I've talked with Tony about them and I want you to know that we can take Angel, if Elena doesn't want her and Mabel and Buddy, the goat." Grayson could not stop thanking us.

Saturday afternoon after our great event, Grayson called to tell me that Elena had fallen in love with Angel and Elena's young granddaughter had fallen in love with Angel, too and they were so happy for Angel to have found a great forever home and then he thanked me again for helping Angel. Then we made plans for them to bring them out today.

A little before one o'clock today the dogs started barking outside to let us know that Grayson and Carla were driving in. When we went outside we saw a big, black Ford F-150 pickup followed by a mid-sized car pull up by the pig pen and park. After howdys and handshakes we went to meet Buddy in a cage, in the back of Jimmy's truck. "I love him," I said. "Hi, Buddy." Then Grayson carefully took him out of his crate and then Buddy jumped off of the tailgate and Grayson walked him into my writing cabin's front yard.

As we petted Buddy, who seemed a little bit scared and nervous, our friend and great neighbor, Heather arrived with Lo, who had to come down to visit Heather. "We heard from Sherry and Brittany about Buddy coming to the rescue ranch and we just had to come over to meet him. He's absolutely beautiful. Hi, Buddy..."

Five minutes later while we were visiting, our neighbor and good friend Sherry and her daughter Brittany, showed up to meet Buddy, so I shot them. From left to right: Carla, Sherry, Brittany and Buddy. Isn't he handsome!


Here is Carla feeding Buddy some alfalfa.

Then Tony shot Buddy and me.

Then Brian Kanof, El Paso's finest photographer pulled up. "Kinky told me about Buddy and I just had to come over to meet him. He's one big, beautiful goat." Then Kinky arrived.

"That's Buddy?" Kinky asked, in amazement, as he walked over to meet the most handsome goat in the whole state of Texas. "Hi, Buddy." Then I introduced him to Carla, Grayson and their pretty daughter and Jimmy and they visited for a few minutes and then Kinky went over to greet his friend Heather and her guest and that is when he met Mabel, the sweet, little ten to twelve-year-old dog, who was nearly blind. Mabel stole his heart as she had ours. "Nance, let's talk later about Mabel. Maybe I can take her if Sophie will let me or maybe y'all can take her. Isn't she sweet."

"Buddy loves carrots," Carla said, as tears filled her eyes, as she petted Buddy. "I'm so sorry. This is so hard for me to be saying goodbye to our beloved pets. I love them so much..." T. overheard Carla's words and went up to the trailer. When he returned he had carrots in his hand and then he fed them to Buddy.

While we continued to visit, Tony, Grayson and his daughter jumped into Kermit with Mabel and drove off to put her in her dog pen that T. had prepared especially for her. 

Then Heather and Lo left. Then Brian drove off. Then Kinky said goodbye. Then Sherry and Brittany went back home. After we said goodbye to Jimmy, and Grayson and his family they slowly drove away, as I was standing next to Buddy and it was obvious that he was upset. Then he started crying and it nearly broke my heart, so I started crying, too.

When Tony walked up I said, "Tony, Buddy is crying. Listen." Then Buddy, as he stared down the drive, lowered his bottom lip and made this loud huffing sound like, "Huff, Huff" and then he did it again. "I didn't know goats cried," I cried. "It's okay, Buddy. We love you. Please don't cry." Tony came over and hugged me and then he petted Buddy, as Buddy continued to make sad, weeping sounds.

I was so upset and felt so sorry for Buddy and the family that he loved, who had been forced to give him up, I went to the trailer to get him a couple of carrots, while T. went to the barn to get him some feed. 

Tony and I spent most of the day visiting with Buddy and trying to let him know that we loved him and that we would take good care of him until we could find him a wonderful home. I don't know if Buddy understood, but he finally did quit crying and seems to be okay.

This evening Kinky called to talk to me about Mabel and Buddy and we have come up with a few ideas and we have already put in a few phone calls to friends. When I told him about Buddy crying he said, "Thank goodness I wasn't there..." Please keep your fingers crossed and say prayers for Mabel and Buddy.

When I post a blog I never like it to be sad or end it on a sad note, so please check out these cute pictures that Mari found on the Internet and sent to me about Flying Dogs. I promise it will make you smile and laugh. Mari, thank you so much for sending this to me. The photos are incredibly great.

Y'all have a great evening!   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

anyway y'all could keep buddy the goat? he could be so good for all and mow the lawn.

Mari of the NoMads said...

If Buddy wasn't raised in the hill country (or even if he has been to date) watch him for signs of dangerous calculi build-up from drinking natural well water. Talk to your vet about it so you'll be an informed goat owner and be able to recognize any symptoms of problems.

Not to frighten you! Please don't rush out and do as I told Jon and Sandy Wolfmueller you MIGHT do if I warned you of this problem. In other words, don't race to buy cases of Evian water or install a reverse osmosis system just for Buddy!