Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Goofy Looking!

Today has been GREAT! You know when sometimes you wake up to a new day and just know it is going to be a good one—well, that is how I felt when I jumped out of bed at six o'clock this morning. After doing my morning chores I sat down at the kitchen table and checked my e-mail. 

Our good friends Charlie and Ellen had sent me a note about possibly wanting to adopt Buddy the goat! I was thrilled and could not wait to tell Tony when he got home from the Old Timer.

After I had walked six miles with Leslie and running the bath water the phone rang, but I couldn't hear who was calling, so I shut off the faucet and came into the big room to check the Caller ID—Ellen had called, so I picked up the phone and punched in their number. After greetings Ellen said, "Charlie and Mr. Cooper want to come over to meet Buddy. Is that okay?" You can guess what I told her.

Around ten o'clock I went outside to greet Shannon, because she was returning Gus, a sweet, two-year-old Black Lab to us, because of his bad eating habits. "He ate our couch the other day, most of our son's toys and yesterday he ate our brand new TV..." Shannon felt bad about returning him to us, but I totally understood. 

When Shannon took Gus out of the car he remembered us and his tail started wagging wildly, Shannon may have been upset, but Gus wasn't—he was home. We tried to put Gus with Annie Oakley in one of our big pens, but unfortunately it did not work out. She tried to bite Gus, so T. went to put Gus in an ally as Shannon talked to me about adopting Kirby, a smaller, older, sweet calmer dog. Twenty minutes later Shannon and her cute son drove away with Kirby sitting in the front seat! And then Charlie and his father Mr. Cooper arrived!


After greeting Charlie and Mr. Cooper (who is ninety-one years old and I have a secret crush on, but don't tell Tony.) "Mr. Buddy is one mighty big goat!" Charlie said, as he stared at Buddy and as T. drove up in Kermit. Charlie and his father went to meet our new buddy and Mr. Cooper could not quit petting him and feeding him carrots. "Well, Dad, what do you think? Do you want him?" 

"Yes! Yes, I do," Mr. Cooper said, wearing a big grin on his face. We looked at Charlie, as Buddy stood up on the fence looking over it, so he could hear the verdict, too.

"We'll take him," Charlie said, "but I need to go get a horse trailer. We'll be back in a few minutes." Before they drove away, I got some coffee for Mr. Cooper to take with him and he repaid me with some beautiful, organic bell peppers from his garden. I got the better deal.

While they were gone to get the trailer I helped Tony move Gus from the alley to Kirby's old pen and he and Lulu instantly fell in love. It was a good match. Then to help T. I picked up dog poop in over half of the pens before Charlie and Mr. Cooper arrived with their horse trailer. Tony took this picture of me and Buddy and then we had a fun visit with The Cooper men, before they easily loaded him up into the trailer and took him to his new home.

This evening I went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky and to tell him about my day and he was thrilled that Buddy and Kirby got adopted. As we were talking about Sophie's diet and her new plus-sized figure, Tony and Frank drove up in Kermit. We had a fun visit while we sat outside near the Friedman Family Bone Orchard and watched Brownie and Chumley chew on some bones, while Sophie slept in Kinky's lap dreaming about her next home cooked meal by Chef Kinky. Before leaving I learned that The Medina Bulldog had beaten The Hummingbird Man in an earlier game of pool. Yeah, Toner!

When we got home I checked my e-mail as I listened to Steve Martin's Grammy award winning bluegrass CD "Crow" with the Steep Canyon Rangers. It is so fantastic and if you love bluegrass—it is a must have. I found out about it when I watched him and the Steep Canyon Rangers perform on Austin City Limits.

I had four new e-mails, but the one from Charlie made me laugh out loud when I read what he wrote and saw his pictures of Ellen with Buddy. Thank you, Ellen, Charlie and Mr. Cooper! I love y'all! Charlie wrote:

"Buddy as you can see likes corn tortillas and does not like to be left without human companionship. Tried to go in Dad's cabin several times as he sees the dogs do it.
 
Think Buddy will do fine.
 
Thank you for a wonderful animal!
 
Charlie"


Ronnie just called. He wanted to know if I was still thrilled about my new teeth. "Ron, I love them! I'm a Polident Girl! And I love it!"

I'm going to bed early tonight, because tomorrow is going to be a busy, but fun day for me. I have to get up real early, so I can do my morning chores, walk six miles and do the Harley Show at seven forty-five. Then I have to leave the ranch by eight twenty, so I can get to my portrait class in Kerrville, which promises "requires no skills" which starts at nine o'clock and ends at three-thirty. I am excited about taking a day off and learning something new. Tomorrow night I will post my first portrait, if it isn't too goofy looking.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: