Monday, November 1, 2010

I Seem To Whistle Some!

This morning before walking eight miles I called Kinky and wished him a happy birthday. Then we discussed and made a plan to meet at eleven o'clock at The Hat, so Tony could go with him to a business meeting, while I ran some errands.

At two minutes before eleven o'clock we drove into The Hat's parking lot and I was mortified at what I saw! Kinky was sitting inside Mr. Green Jeans with the windows rolled down, puffing on a cigar and surrounded by two squad cars as another one was pulling up. "What in the heck is going on?" I asked Tony. 

As soon as T. parked Buttermilk we got out of the car slowly, because the police were watching us and we walked up to Kinky's truck. "Kinky?" I asked. "Why is your pickup surrounded by the squad cars?" Kinky slowly blew out a puff of smoke.

"Someone called the cops and told them I was smoking in Albertsons. That's what."

I looked down at the grocery sacks on his front seat. "You didn't smoke in there? Did you?"

"Of course not! I know better than that, Nance." Kinky said, as we watched one police car slowly drive away.

"I can't believe this," I said. "Were the Police nice to you?"

"Yes," Kinky said. "They were very nice to me. They came up to the truck and told me that someone had called 911 to report that they had seen me smoking my cigar inside Albertsons. They asked me if I had and I told them no, I hadn't. Then they were almost apologetic about it and told me they were only having to do their job. The Police were definitely nice to me. It wasn't their fault at all that some #@*^* jerk spends his or her time calling 911 about people smoking."

After the other two squad cars took off in opposite directions I said, "This is unbelievable to me. Think about it. What a waste of time and money for the police to have to waste their time checking out so called smoking reports when they could be out there protecting us instead. What a stupid law. It makes me sick..."

"Load up, Tony," Kinky said, as he started up Mr. Green Jeans. "We got mens-work to do. We'll see you soon." As they drove away I climbed inside Buttermilk and headed for 1121 Second Street, the home of Kerrville's ISD— Club Ed.

I walked inside the Club Ed building and as I was telling a friendly woman that I wanted to sign up for the One Day Portrait Class that requires no skill, a man said, "Well hello there, Cousin Nancy." I turned around and greeted the friendly man. "I'm Phil Houseal, the Director for Club Ed and I listen to you on The Harley Show and I feel like I already know you..." After I signed up and got my receipt, Phil asked me if I had the time for him to interview me for his weekly column that he writes for the Kerrville Daily Times.

A minute later I was sitting in Phil's office being interviewed for the column that he writes about Club Ed and it was a lot of fun. He asked me about what classes I had taken and I told him that my first class was how to play the piano real fast and he knew about me signing up for the drum class with Donna Schloss and we talked about how fun it had been and then I told him about Tony, June and me going to that Drumming Circle at The Yoga Space on my birthday. Then we talked about me doing a class about our rescue ranch and I told him that I would to do it. I really enjoyed visiting with Phil while he took notes and twenty minutes later my last words to him or so I thought were, "I love Club Ed!"

As I stood up Phil asked, "Would it be okay if I took some pictures of you for my column and our next catalog? We could go outside and it would only take a minute." 

I laughed and then explained to him why I had laughed. "You see, Phil, I just got dentures last Wednesday and I would love for you to take my picture. In fact, you will be the first person to take a picture of me with my new smile. I am still having a little trouble talking and I seem to whistle some when I say the words..."

Outside I posed next to the Utopia sign on Buttermilk's front door as Phil shot me over and over again while holding different props in my hands. Before leaving I gave Phil a copy of my new book, Meanwhile Back At The Rescue Ranch: The Dog Days of Cousin Nancy

Then we went back inside and the friendly receptionist gave me some paperwork to fill out for my teaching position. Then I shook hands with Phil, said goodbye to them and left the building.

Thirty minutes later my cell phone rang. "Where are you?" Tony asked, calling from Kinky's cell phone. 

"I'm checking out the groceries right now."

"Good. Meet us at The Hat for lunch. We're headed that way now. Bye."

When I walked inside the Mexican Restaurant Kinky waved to me from a blue colored booth that he and Tony were sitting at. "How did the meeting go?" I asked, as Tony stood up to let me slide across on his side of the booth.

"It went great," Kinky answered, and then he started laughing, as the waitress served them their hot meals. "Everyone there knew who Cousin Nancy was, too. They said they listen to Harley and read your blog. And Fourth Coates was there, too..." We had a fun lunch and left thirty minutes later to go home.

Late this afternoon Tony drove me to the Medina Post Office so I could mail out some letters and pick up my package from my friends Karin and Jurgen Pohlmann, who live in Germany. As T. drove me home I opened up the tube and pulled out a birthday card, a letter, an old 1955 Poodle book. As we drove home I read Karin's sweet letter to him and showed him the cute birthday card and the Poodle book which had some very funny Poodle pictures in it. 

Then I pulled out a poster wrapped in brown paper. When I unrolled it I smiled and teared up, because the Boston Terrier behind the pink balloon looked a lot like my Yoda. To say the least I loved it and thought it was beautiful. I showed it to Tony and he liked it too, while we set at the portable signal light waiting for it to turn green on Highway 16. The rest of the way home I couldn't quit admiring the poster. Thank you, Karin and Jurgen! Y'all are tooooooo sweet! I had Tony hold it so I could take this picture of it.

This evening I received two photos from my new friend Phil Houseal. Drum roll, y'all............Here is my first picture taken of me with my new smile. Compliments of Phil.
P.S I just called Cindy and Ronnie and told them to look at tonight's blog if they wanted to see my new smile. Ron just called and said he liked them and I am waiting for Cindy to call back.

Yall have a great evening and keep smiling!

4 comments:

DY_Goddess said...

Gorgeous Smile! Love it!
Fay xo

Roger said...

Great looking smile, looks like real teeth, Dr. Hagemeir did a beautiful job!

Unknown said...

Nancy, It was great to see you and Tony--and the rest of the "family!" Memories of visits to Utopia--no matter how brief--are like opening little bottles of sunshine on a cloudy day. BIG THANKS to Frank for a)not shooting us; b)not making us spend the night camped out at the gate. My finger is bandaged-- without the need of a transfusion--and we made it home, safe and sound. And yes, the 4 1/2 hour trip seemed to take about 10 minutes because we NEVER STOPPED TALKIING!!! Love you! Connie

PS: My apologies to Wal-Mart for leaving my body fluid all over their customer service department; and thanks to the opthomologist for the scissors! : ))))

Phil Houseal said...

So nice to make your acquaintance, Cousin Nancy! I've loved your "radio laugh" and now can put it with the person. I posted your blog on our Club Ed Facebook page, and will share my column when finished. Thanks for letting Club Ed help you kick your bucket list!