Sunday, November 21, 2010

Early-Bird Shoppers!

Today has been good. At six o'clock this morning I woke up to the sound of Tony talking and laughing in the kitchen, so I climbed out of bed and went to the bathroom and put my teeth in and then I went to the kitchen to find out who he was talking to. "Morning, Nance," T. said, as he put the phone back into it's cradle. "I just called Kinky to give him his wake up call, so he can head out by seven..."

After drinking a cup of coffee with Tone, he took off for the Old Timer in Medina to visit with his friends, so I started doing my morning chores. First, I fed our six dogs, then I started a load of laundry in Queen Bee and then I cooked up some breakfast tacos for Tony and stuck them in the oven to keep them warm until he got home.

After drinking a healthy smoothie for breakfast, I put the laundry into Airy Queen and then I walked six miles with Leslie, while our clothes dried. Then I finished up my decorating and I am proud to say that the kitchen and the big room look a whole lot better and I am pleased with my work.

I made cheese enchiladas, beans and rice for lunch and Tony cleaned his plate, which to me means he liked it or was just starving. After I cleaned up the kitchen, I grabbed my purse and went with Tony to the H-E-B in Kerrville to buy groceries for our dog's annual Thanksgiving Dinner, which this year was underwritten by our dear friend Fay MacLachlan, up in Canada, and to also buy what we needed for our turkey day meal paid by us.

As T. drove Buttermilk to town, I made out the two grocery lists. When we arrived at H-E-B, the store was filled with early-bird shoppers, so to speak. We grabbed two shopping carts, so T. could put the dog's food in his basket-on-wheels and our food in mine. Then we took off.

Because Tony had forgotten to take his cell phone with him, we decided it was best to shop together, so we wouldn't get lost in the bustling crowd of bird hunters. After thirty-five minutes of walking up and down almost every isle in the store and filling our red colored push carts to the brim, we checked out our groceries at different check out stations.

On our way home I asked Tone how much the dog's Thanksgiving Dinner had cost, because Fay had sent us a check for $125.00 to cover the expense. Tony started laughing.

"It cost $127.01," he said, followed by a laugh. "I'm going to tease Fay and tell her that she owes the rescue ranch two more dollars and one cent..."

"If we hadn't bought the forty-eight brown 'n serve dinner rolls for the dogs dessert, we wouldn't have gone over budget," I said. "Please make sure that Fay knows that you are kidding her..."

When we arrived back at the rescue ranch we unloaded and filled the refrigerator in the barn with our dogs groceries and then we came home and filled our refrigerator with our food.

Here's a list of what we bought for our dogs 2010 Thanksgiving Dinner:

54 eggs

2 - 32 oz. jars of minced garlic

15 lbs. of ground turkey

3 - 51 oz. bottles of olive oil

6 - 14 oz. bags of Pepperidge Farms stuffing

12 lbs. of frozen mixed vegetables bags (which consist of: corn, green beans, lima beans, peas and

2 large bags of shredded Colby Jack cheese

48 brown 'n serve dinner rolls (which every dog will get for dessert after cleaning their bowls)

Thank you, Fay! Our dogs will love your Thanksgiving Dinner. We love you!

Y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

DY_Goddess said...

Hey Nancy & Tony! Just read this today, that is too funny! Is that $2.01 Canadian or American? LOL!

I only wish I could be there to celebrate with you. Here's wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving and all the best always! I'll give Kris Kristofferson a hug when I get home.

Much love & tail wags,
Fay xo