Monday, September 29, 2014

Perfect Timing!

Today has been great. This morning after we did our chores outside, I came inside and cooked spaghetti with meatballs for Kinky, Tony and me. Lately, instead of seasoning the tomato sauce with oregano, etc., I've been using my homemade salsa as the spaghetti sauce and Kinky and Tony love it, because the jalapenos give it some heat. And I've named it Cousin Nancy's Tex-Mex Spaghetti.

After lunch, Buttermilk took Tony and me to Kerrville, so we could run a few errands. Our first stop was at the post office so I could mail some letters. Then we headed down Sidney Baker Street (Highway 16) to the Home Depot, so I could buy some solar batteries for our new solar lights, to light up our front porch and Outer Space, again.

Years ago, after my brother Ronnie and my nephew Tom built us Outer Space, our fabulous screened-in porch with a view to die for, Tony and I put up solar lights in there and along the railing of our front porch and steps.

We loved the solar lights that automatically came on at dusk and went off at dawn, but, unfortunately three years ago, after we had rescued and adopted Belle, she made it her personal mission to eat all of the hidden wiring, including the small solar panels, before she turned six months old. She accomplished her mission and she was happy, but we weren't.

After we had purchased a couple of packs of rechargeable solar batteries we went down the street, to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, so we could finally pick up Blake Shelton and Ringo, the small dog that we rescued last Thursday.

Four days ago, when we were taking Blake to Hoegemeyers, to get him groomed, a red Jeep, in front of us, suddenly slowed down on Highway 16 and as it pulled off to the side of the road, we saw this little, white dog running down the middle of the highway. So, Tony immediately pulled off of the road, right behind the couple getting our of their Jeep. As I jumped out of Buttermilk, the frightened dog stopped running down the road and started walking slowly towards us.

"Did y'all lose that dog?" The nice man asked.

"No," I answered. "When we saw y'all pull over and then saw the dog—we wanted to help. Hey, little buddy come on over here." The dog waged his tail and then he walked up to me and I picked him up. "We're on our way to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic right now. We'll take him with us and drop him off there and then we will try to locate the owners, even though he isn't wearing a dog collar."

"Great!" The nice woman said. "Thank y'all. Talk about perfect timing..."

I held the little dog in my arms all of the way to Hoegemeyers and he was great in the car and seemed used to riding in vehicles. When we arrived at Hoegemeyers, Tony walked inside with Blake and then I walked inside with the little, white dog, still in my arms. Susan greeted us and then she turned her head sideways, smiled and said, "Now I know Blake has an appointment. So who is this little guy?"

As soon as we told Susan his story, she took him into her arms and then asked one of their sweet vet techs to go scan him for a chip. Before they came back to get Blake, Susan told us that the dog was not chipped. "Please hold him for a day or two," I said. "In hopes that we can find his owner..." Then we left the clinic and went to eat lunch with our dear friend Drew, at The Fork & Knife or The Knife & Fork, in Ingram. And lunch was delicious.

While we were waiting for our lunch to be served, we told Drew about rescuing the little dog on the highway. Then he picked up his phone and punched in some numbers, "I know some people that have a business in that area. Hello, this is Drew. Do you know if anyone is missing a little, white dog? Okay, if anyone is please tell them he is at the rescue ranch and they can come and get him. Have a great day. Bye. They told me that for the last three or four days they had seen that little, lost dog, that they think was probably dumped, running up and down 16 and they have been worried sick that it might get hit. They told me to thank y'all for rescuing it...." When we got back home, I phoned Susan and told her what we had found out and to please go ahead and give him his shots, neuter him, etc. And when she asked me to name him, I said, "Ringo Starr."

Today, when we got back home, Blake's coat looked beautiful and he was very happy to get back into his old pen with Miranda. As we drove away he made us laugh, because we saw him rolling in the almost dried dirt, to get that fragrant shampoo smell off of him.

Because Blake is so clean, Tony and I are hoping that it doesn't rain again, until Wednesday afternoon, because last night Fay sent me an exciting e-mail, telling me that Julie will be picking Blake up, Wednesday morning, at 10:00 and that she and Ian will be meeting up with her Friday morning, to take him to his new fabulous, forever home, in Toronto.

Here's a couple of pictures I took today of Ringo, before we put him in his pen today. They're not the best pictures. I will get a better picture of him, in the next few days, and post it, after he becomes Buddy Holly's new best friend.

P.S. Today, Susan and Robin, at Hoegemeyers, told us that Ringo was a super dog. Very friendly, sweet, not hyper, about 14 months old, etc.

Y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

mary sanders said...

Can you give a recipe for the sauce? How do you season the meatballs? I've made shrimp and spaghetti with cocktail sauce, but haven't tried with salsa...
Mary Sanders