Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Nineteen Years!

The last two days have been great, even though there wasn't anything exciting going on out here to write about, unless you find us mowing all day yesterday and most of today interesting news. I guess you could say that we are going through the dog days of summer out here.  

Today around 11:30, I cooked Tony, Kinky and me another one of my delicious zucchini and portobello mushroom frittata, with scallops, garlic, eggs and Parmesan cheese, because Kinky, Tony and I love it so much.

As soon as the frittata came out of the oven, I covered it with homemade salsa and then topped it off with some large avocado slices and then I served it to Tony and Kinky. While we were eating Kinky said, "I am really not a frittata type of a guy, but for some reason I love this zucchini and mushroom frittata. It's my favorite one that you make." Then he chuckled and took another bite. And before he left to go, back over to the Lodge, I sent him home with the leftover frittata.

Around 12:30, I jumped into Trigger and went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky, because he wanted to tell me a story that McGovern had just told him.

McGovern is a dear friend of Kinky's that, over the years, has become a dear friend to Tony and me, too. He lives in New York City and has appeared often in many of Kinky's popular, fictional, mystery novels.

Anyway, when I got over to the Lodge, Kinky and I sat down, at the kitchen table and he immediately starts to tell me McGovern's story, "It's about a rescue dog, in Texas, that gets adopted and a few years later goes blind. The dog's family,"

"Hi y'all, our dear friend Nelda says, as she walks inside the kitchen.

After we howdy-ed her back, Kinky looks at me and asks, "Do you mind if I start over, because I want Nelda to hear this great story, too?"

"That's fine with me," I said.

Then Kinky starts over telling McGovern's story. "....This dog's family kept him, because they loved him so much. So, they took him everywhere they went. One day the woman had this dog on a leash and was walking him on a Texas beach. When suddenly they heard a girl, out in the ocean, screaming for help. She was drowning. This blind dog immediately jerks his leash away from the woman and runs into the ocean, to go rescue the girl. As the girl is screaming for help, this blind dog is swimming towards her—until the girl stops screaming, from exhaustion. The dog then starts swimming in circles, because the drowning girl is silent. The woman hollers to the girl the dog's name and tells her to keep calling him. When the girl starts calling the dog's name and the dog swims to her and rescues her. Now that is one great dog."

"I love animals," Nelda said. "They are so much smarter than us stupid humans."

"I know," I said. "And they are so much kinder, too. That's a great story, Kinky...." We sat around the kitchen table visiting for about fifteen more minutes, when suddenly I noticed that none of us were talking anymore and it made me remember all of the good old times, that the three of us had spent, in those chairs, drinking Kinky's delicious kona coffee together and laughing while trying to solve the world's problems.

"Why is nobody talking?" Nelda asked, followed by a laugh.

"I know," I said, as the three of us started chuckling about it. "I was just wondering about that, too."

Then Nelda says, "It's because we've just gotten old. That's all. Heck, I've known Kinky and his family for over thirty years and I've known you for at least twenty years."

"Nineteen years to be exact," I added. Then the three of us started reminiscing, making jokes and laughing about the good ole days that we've shared, around Kinky's kitchen table.

And that's about it for tonight, because Tony and I are fixin' to go back outside to do some more boring mowing. "Come on Fall!"

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: