Sunday, July 27, 2014

I Have The Outlaw Blues!

Today has been great. As I write this, it is about 4:00, in the afternoon. Tony and Karon are outside supervising the kids that are walking our dogs for us and I just put a pot of pinto beans, on the stove, to cook for a few hours.

This morning, after we did our chores, Tony and I replaced a few wading pools that the dogs had put holes in and then we cleaned and refilled them with fresh water. But it is very frustrating to me when we do this, because usually within a couple of hours, the dogs wading pools look dirty, again, because our dogs get dirt in them, due to our ongoing drought situation. In the past, most of our dog pens, that were once full of thick, green grass, are grass less now and those wading pools always looked clean.

Anyway, I've discussed this with our volunteers and they have told me not to worry about how they look, because the dogs enjoy being able to get wet and cooled-off anytime, by either standing, sitting or laying down in them and besides that the dogs could care less, because they love to play in mud.

Now, I want to tell you about yesterday afternoon when our dear friend Jennifer came out to see Kinky, Tony and me and she brought us lunch, too. When she arrived, at the rescue ranch, Tony helped her unload ten, new plastic wading pools and treats for our dogs. Then she came inside The Cabin with Tony.

After hugs, our dogs would not leave Jennifer alone and kept licking her legs. Tony and I kept trying to make our dogs stop licking her legs, but it was to no avail. They would stop when we told them to, but seconds later they would return to Jennifer and start licking her again. "Jennifer," I said. "I'm sorry that our dogs won't leave you alone."

Jennifer laughed and said, "It's okay. I really don't mind. This morning when I put Ginger lotion on my legs my dogs started licking my legs immediately. My dogs love it, too." A few minutes later, Tony put our dogs outside, so we could have a nice, peaceful visit with our friend.

"Oh, I have a gift for y'all. My mom and I found these, in Austin and we loved them so much—we bought everyone they had. I think we bought six or seven. I brought one for you and Tony and one for Kinky to have." Then Jennifer reached down into her carry-all bag and pulled this out. "Isn't it cool!"


"Yes," Tony said and then he chuckled. "Nancy is scared to death of snakes."

Jennifer laughed. "Touch it, Tony," Jennifer said. "It feels just like a real snake, but it is made with rosin or whatever they call that stuff."

"Thank you, Jennifer," I said. "It is a lovely gift and I think we'll probably keep it in Tony's office, because it looks so real." Then she and Tony talked about snakes while I called Kinky, to let him know that Jennifer was here. "Jennifer has brought us lunch. Do you want to eat it here or over at the Lodge.

"Here," Kinky said. "Come on over..."

A few minutes later, the three of us climbed out of Buttermilk as Kinky and The Friedmans came out to greet us. While we ate Jennifer's delicious lunch,  that she picked up, in Johnson City, she gave Kinky his rattlesnake and a DVD. "Kinky, I think you will love this movie, Outlaw Blues, starring Peter Fonda and Susan Saint James, because it was mainly filmed in Austin, in 1977. And even though it was a sleeper—it's a great movie."


After a fun visit at Kinky's we came back over to The Cabin, so we could visit some more. When she told us that she was very sorry about missing Chet O'Keefe's In Dining Hall Concert, I showed her Gerry Olert's video, on YouTube, of Chet singing Ode to Cousin Nancy and to say the least—she loved it, too and I teared up, again. We talked about her art, her latest studio renovations, and book publishing, etc. until it was time for her to get back on the road and drive home. All in all it was a fun time filled with laughter.

Around 6:00, Tony and I decided to go to the little H-E-B, in Kerrville, to get groceries, so we wouldn't have to go to anywhere today. And I am glad that we did, because we got to have a fun visit, in the H-E-B parking lot, with our dear friends Becky & Harley Belew.

When we got back home, I called Kinky, "Kink, did you go to town to get your Claritin?"

"Not yet," Kinky said. "But I really need some."

"Good, because we went to town and I bought generic Claritin for you and for us. I'll bring it over right now."

Minutes later, I went over to the Lodge to deliver the generic Claritin to him and while I was there, I asked Kink, "Can I borrow that movie that Jennifer gave to you? I would love to watch it tonight."

When I came back home, I watched the comedy adventure Outlaw Blues and I was really into it and enjoying it, when it suddenly froze up, with only about ten minutes left to go. I was sick about it and tried a few times to unfreeze it, but nothing worked. So if any of you have watched Outlaw Blues, please let me know how it ends, because I have the Outlaw Blues. I have also left a message with Jennifer to please call me back to tell me how it ends. So wish me luck. And that is about it for today.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: