Tuesday, February 5, 2013

He Liked It! He Really Liked It!

Today has been great. After we did our morning chores outside I came into the house and the phone rang—it was Kinky. After we greeted each other he said in a very serious voice, "I finished reading your novella last night. Can you come over right now, so I can talk to you about it."

"Sure." When I hung up the phone I was a little worried that Kinky didn't like my novella and I wasn't sure that I was ready to hear any criticism from him.

Five minutes later, Kinky and I were sitting in his rocking chairs, on the front porch and he was holding my novella in his left hand and a cigar in his right hand. We watched The Friedmans play for a minute or so and then I took a deep breath and asked him, "Well, did you like it?"

Oh my goodness—he liked it! He really liked it and all of the colorful characters in it, which he also knows and are his friends, too. We sat on his front porch for over an hour and a half talking and laughing about the zany characters and the funny situations that I put them in.

I was literally on Cloud Nine listening to him talk to me about our friends that I put in my novella: Carol, Fay, Vern, Mari & David, Lynda & Fourth, 'Erb & Karen, Monk & Lynn, Cheryl & Walt, Maribeth, Les & Denise, Tony, Ben, Rick & Leisa and Ellen & Charlie. "Nancy, it is well written, an easy fun read and I laughed all of the way through it."

When I started telling him about the plot and what is going to happen to the characters in Part II, he loved it and many times he would laugh out loud. "You're really on to something here about writing funny, fiction, mystery, cliffhanger novellas, Nancy and..."

Before leaving the Lodge he suggested that I "kill off" one of the characters in Part II and then we laughed and joked about who it might be.

When I came back home I was so happy and excited about Kinky loving my novella, I told Tony all about what he had said to me as he drove us to Kerrville, to meet our good friends Kris & Jim, "The Mineral Man," for lunch at our favorite Mexican food restaurant, El Sol De Mexico.

Lunch with our friends was so much fun. As we ate our delicious lunch we laughed and joked and traded hilarious stories. Then we came back home. And that is about it for tonight, because I have got some more writing to do.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

'Erb Cares said...

Karen and I hope we're not getting killed off. 'Erb, we hardly knew ye!

cousin nancy said...

Hi 'Erb. I hope not, too. : )