Thursday, November 3, 2011

This Is The Best BBQ Place That I've Ever Eaten At In Texas!

Today has been fantastic. This morning when Tony woke me up at 6:30, so I could be wide awake to do Harley Belew's popular radio show, I thanked him and then Tone took off for the Old Timer. One hour later, I suddenly woke up with Mama hugging me in her white hairy arms and snoring loudly, with Toto angrily growling at me in bed, because I had moved, because he hates it when I move in bed.

Fourteen minutes later, after quickly downing a warm cup of coffee, thanks to an ice cube, I called Harley and had a fun time visiting him about our rescue ranch on-air. After we adios-ed each other, I walked four miles with Leslie, for the second day in a row. Then T. came home and we ate my delicious, "Cousin Nancy's Blueberry Oatmeal with Rick, The Friendly Lighthouse Keeper and Leisa's Mangrove honey from Port A."

While I was washing our breakfast dishes in the kitchen sink, the phone rang, so I let Carlton take the call. As soon as I had dried off my hands I called Phillip, from Medina, back, because he wanted to come out and possibly adopt one of our dogs.

Twenty minutes later, when we met Phillip, we liked him instantly and we kept our fingers crossed that he would adopt one of our dogs. And as luck would have it—he did. His final picks were Walter Cronkite and Pilgrim and lucky, little Pilgrim won out and this is a picture I took, before Phillip took Pilgrim home to meet his wife and there two other dogs.


As soon as Phillip and one happy Pilgrim drove away in their big, fancy truck I jumped into Kermit and went up to the trailer, so I could call Kinky with the great news and Kinky was as thrilled as us about Pilgrim finding his fantastic, forever home before Thanksgiving.

I did computer chores after doing my morning chores outside and I accomplished a ton of paperwork, before Tony and I took off in Trigger to go meet Carol for lunch at Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, because we could not wait for her to meet Carol and Calvin Abercrombie and to get her to try Calvin's BBQ.

When we arrived at Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, only a half mile from I-10, their place was packed and we luckily found the last vacant table and claimed it, before Carol and Calvin came over and happily greeted us. 

During our delicious meal, as T. and Carol ate their delicious grilled chicken sandwiches, we had Carol sample their delicious Smoked Red Pepper Soup, sausage dipped in Calvin's Cajun Horseradish, beans, Cilantro Cole Slaw and potato salad and Carol loved it all.

As the three of us ate Kal-Bob's delicious Banana Supreme dessert, Carol said, "Y'all, this is the best BBQ place that I've ever eaten at in Texas. Seriously, it's like gourmet BBQ and the side dishes are out of this world..." And we had to agree with her by shaking our heads, because we had food in our mouths.

And finally, after swallowing and taking a sip of iced tea, I said, "Carol, I'll guarantee you that in no time flat, this place is going to be famous and a Kerrville landmark and we will be standing in line to eat here..."

Early this evening Tony and I went over to the Lodge to help Kinky repair some fence around the Lodge and then we came home. Then Tone helped me bring in all of my plants from Outer Space, because of a predicted frost in the morning.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying that we get some more rain!

P.S. This is for my dear friend Mari of the NoMads. Let's do lunch at Cal-Bob's with you and the NoMads sooner than later! Call me.

4 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

I'm willing to try their barbecue and Lori's already been there, so it's a date!

I'll phone you - maybe tomorrow is do-able - if not, next week!

Stay warm! It's gonna be a cold one!

cousin nancy said...

Hi, Mari! Tomorrow our fabulous Fab 4 and hopefully Jim are coming out to walk our dogs! If it is okay with you and the NoMads let's do it early next week. I cannot wait to see you and the NoMads! We're warm and y'all stay warm.

Mari of the NoMads said...

Next week's better for me because tomorrow (Friday) Central Texas Co-op is FINALLY coming out to flip on our alternative energy switch - the one connected to our solar panels and windspire! Legally our electricians can't turn on that switch to the two-way meter so we've been waiting about 3 weeks since our installation was finished. We're anxious to see how much this 'green' energy helps with the bill. Tomorrow promises CLOSURE at last!

Have a great weekend that I can read about on your blog and I'll phone you next week to schedule a date for lunch!

cousin nancy said...

Congrats on going solar and am looking forward to lunch.