Friday, November 4, 2011

I'm Walking!

Well, I hate to say it again, but I have to, because today has been another great day. This morning while Tony and I were doing our morning chores outside, our great volunteers; Ellen, Eileen and Jim arrived to walk our dogs for us and Ellen brought Joan, her good friend along, who lives in Mississippi!

Joan is the super, sweet woman that we met on April 2, 2010, when June, Eileen and Ellen brought her and Kent, her super sweet husband, out to walk dogs for us and I will never forget the fun time that I had visiting with them, because Joan is the only woman that I have ever met that—rented a cave in South Africa with nearby water, to get back to nature and relax.

And I will never forget her exact words, "One time I rented a cave and decided to go backpacking naked into the forest and..." And that's why I laughed when we hugged each other this morning, because I thought about her doing that in South Africa and suddenly realized that at my ripe old age of sixty-years—I won't even run through the shower anymore, because I know it would traumatize our dogs and scar them for life if they saw me without clothes on.

After walking and making many of our dogs happy, Eileen and Jim purposefully walked Dr. John & Missy together, while Ellen and Joan walked Emmylou Harris & Maggie together, so we could see how they got along, because Tony and I were thinking of letting Dr. John and Missy become roommates and Emmylou and Maggie become roommates. And the good news is they all got along great, so now Dr. John and Maggie, whose roommates found forever homes this past week, now have new roommates to play with.


Then it was Miracle Time, once Tony and I had fetched our cameras, we stood nearby with Eileen and shot Jim, as he leashed up Miss Dee and Mr. Rogers for his first official walk around the ranch and it made Eileen and me smile and it gave us goose bumps, as Mr. Rogers strutted past us, like he was born walking on a leash! "Jim, you're a miracle worker!" I declared, as they headed towards the rescue ranch's entrance gate to go for a fun walk with Jim.

Then Eileen says, "This is so great, Nancy. I bet Jim has no idea how many people he has made happy, by working with Mr. Rogers..." Here is a short and a little choppy video that I took of Mr. Roger's leaving his pen, on leash, with Miss Dee for the very first time and I've titled it, I'm Walking! and I hope that you enjoy it and here is a picture of Jim, Miss Dee and Mr. Rogers returning to the rescue ranch after a nice long walk down to the creek.


After Jim returned those happy dogs to their pen, we thanked him and thanked him for all he has done for Mr. Rogers and then a few minutes later, Joan came walking in with a tired Lois Lane and after she had returned Lois to her pen, we told Joan the great news about Mr. Rogers overcoming his fear of leashes and going on his very first walk, and she was as thrilled as us for this super dog, who is now so much more adoptable, but if he gets adopted Miss Dee must go with him, because they are in love with each other and they are partners for life.


Forty minutes later Tone and I were in Medina, sitting outside, on a picnic table, eating lunch with Joan, Eileen, Ellen and Jim and we had a blast, because Joan and our great volunteers kept us laughing. And somewhere in our fun conversation we started trying to persuade Joan into talking to Kent about moving here and after lunch, as we stood by our trucks saying goodbye, I had another light bulb moment and said, "Joan, I've got it figured out. Y'all should think about renting an apartment, in Kerrville, for a few months and see if y'all like it here enough to move, before selling your house." After Ellen, Tony and Eileen had agreed with me, they started telling her about cabins for rent, etc.

When T. and I got back to the ranch I phoned Kinky to tell him the great news about Mr. Rogers and Kink thought it was awesome and he asked me to thank Jim for helping Mr. Rogers overcome his fears and he also asked me to please thank all of our great volunteers for all they do for our rescue ranch dogs and to also thank Joan.

And that is about it for tonight, except I want to show you a picture that I took of Mama today, sitting on our front porch, because she is so special to me and is truly one great, Great Pyrenees, that we rescued over 9 1/2 years ago. "I love you, Mama!"


Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying that we get some more rain and that Kent & Joan move here, because we love them!

5 comments:

Roger said...

Mr. Rogers looks like he's enjoying the walk! I want to thank everybody at the ranch for taking such good care of these two dogs. I put Mr. Rogers first collar on, that was no easy task, then he would somehow get it off. Getting Mr. Rogers to walk on a leash is a major accomplishment, this guy is stubborn.
Roger & Mary Peach
Wichita

Anonymous said...

got goose bumps with that video:)

Ellen Jackson said...

Along with my goose bumps, I got teary-eyed. I'm so happy for Mr. Rogers.

Anonymous said...

if you are not signed up for youtube, it does not register you viewing. so....for sure, more have seen than it shows:) smiling,crying,goosebumping with joy, always proud of your rescue group... great volunteers, and the beloved pups ... in dog we trust

Fay said...

What a wonderful video, thanks Nancy! Kudos to Jim, I love the way Mr. Rogers got a boost of courage and just bust out of the pen LOL Miss Dee is popping up and down too, even she is happy Mr. Rogers is going for a walk!