Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My $1.50 Magic Wand! or Just A Halloween Prank!

My morning started out great and then went seriously south soon afterwards, but it has turned out to be a great day after all.

All was good this morning when Tony woke me up at 6:00, as I had asked him to do last night, because my good friend Big G (Gordon Ames) at 1230  KERV AM and at The Real Deal on 93.5 FM Kook radio stations, was going to call me at 7:30 to do a live-on-air Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch segment on his popular morning radio show.

As I poured myself a cup of coffee Tony adios-ed me and took off, in the dark, for Medina to go drink some coffee at the Old Timer, with his friends. By the time Big G called me at 7:30, I was wide awake and I had a blast talking to Big G about our rescue ranch.

When T. returned home, I was happily buttering some toast to go with his just cooked scrambled Tex-Mex eggs, but when he opened his mouth and said, "I'm sorry Nance, but your writing cabin has been vandalized," my day went due south immediately. I felt sick, like I had just been hit in the head by a baseball bat, because I love my pink, newly decorated writing cabin so much.

I then shoved Tony's plate filled with scrambled eggs and toast into the oven, so Mama wouldn't eat his breakfast and then Tone and I went outside to see the damages. As I stared at the front yard in disbelief, Tony says, "Nance, over there's what's left of your deer made out of straw and the head is missing, and over there are some of your stuffed toys all torn apart, a few baseball caps, shredded bandanas and several of your Texas Monthly copies of Kinky's columns are totally destroyed and..."


As I stared at the mess, Missy and Emmylou Harris came up to the fence to get petted. After I had petted them, T. and I went inside my writing cabin to find one big mess. Pillows and cushions were strewn everywhere and some of my stuffed animals were torn apart with the stuffing half pulled out of them and Yoda's first, Eternal Squirrel was laying face down, kissing the woven rug in the top left corner of the picture below, but fortunately was not broken—thank goodness.


As I began picking up parts and pieces of my beloved, destroyed stuffed animals, I let out a sigh of relief, that the vandals hadn't totally destroyed my 1st edition copy of Seabiscuit and my $1.50 magic wand, laying on the coffee table, in front of the blue couch, that I had bought years ago at Walmart, just to get hilarious reactions from all of the people who have visited with us inside my cabin, that had to pick it up and play with it and that's when I began to laugh about the situation, because the vandals had left their fingerprints everywhere or should I say paw prints and we knew who they were—Missy or Emmylou or Team Missy and Emmylou Harris Demolition Team.


Relieved that "the girl or girls" hadn't destroyed my newly reupholstered couch or chairs and ottoman, blinds, etc. and knowing that I could repair the blue, torn back couch cushion and replace most of the stuff that they had chosen to destroy for fun—I laughed even harder, as the "guilty ones" happily stared through the French door at us—with their tails wagging wildly, with dead stuffed animal stuffing hanging from their mouths.

Thrilled that I could easily replace most of the stuff (my stuffed animals and the decapitated straw deer) and knowing that I could clean and repair the couch cushion and reupholstery, I jokingly said, "And this is why we can't have anything nice around here, Tony," which made him laugh, too. "We're just not meant to have nice things. Let's go to the trailer, so you can eat your breakfast."

After Tone had "quit starving" we went outside and I took this picture of the girls helping Tony rake up stuffing, old Kinky magazine articles, parts of ball caps and dead stuffed animal parts and then we went and did our morning chores together.


Before I quit writing tonight, so I can catch up on some more paperwork, I went over to Kinky's earlier this evening and I had a fun visit with him and The Friedmans. He told me that today he has been bombarded with happy birthday phone calls and happy birthday cards and he had a fun lunch with Sandy Wolfmueller, that we were supposed to attend, but couldn't because we got sidetracked, because some unexpected people showed up and they wanted to see our rescue ranch and take a tour. And that is about it for tonight. Once again, Happy Birthday, Kinky! We love you and like Rick, "The Friendly Lighthouse Keeper" likes to say, "We hope that you have another one!

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying that we get some more rain!

2 comments:

Susie said...

LOL puppies will be puppies. As long as they had a good time(which looks like they did) then all is well.

cousin nancy said...

Hi, Susie. They had a blast!