Friday, March 28, 2014

Yes, I Do!

Today has been great. This morning our super volunteers aka good friends came out to walk our dogs for us. While they were walking our great dogs, down to the creek, Kinky called and asked me if I could come over, so we could discuss a few things about our exciting, upcoming Concert for Utopia, on April 13th (Palm Sunday) at 3:30, at the Cailloux Theater, in Kerrville, featuring Country legends Ray Benson & Asleep at the Wheel and Billy Joe Shaver, with guest performances by Chet O'Keefe and Jesse Dayton.

Before we adios-ed each other, I asked Kink, "Do you need some eggs? The Golden Girls laid eight eggs this morning." That made Kinky laugh.

"Sure, bring them on. We'll eat them for breakfast. Hey, Chet! Nancy is bringing over some eggs." After I heard Chet welcome our eggs and tell Kinky that he would cook them up. Kinky and I adios-ed each other.

After I bagged up the eggs, I grabbed George Fischer's great book, True Stories & Rhymes of the Range, part one of a trilogy for the Last of the DK Cowboy, because when I gave Kinky his copy, I gave him my copy by accident, because yesterday I realized that George had signed the book I was reading to Kinky. Then I grabbed the great article written about George Fischer, by my new friend Donna Hatch, for the Kerrville Daily Times, because Kinky had not yet read it. Then I took this picture and left The Cabin.


When I got over to Kinky's we discussed the concert and then we talked about what great writers George Fischer and Donna Gable Hatch are. Then Kinky's phone rang and he disappeared into his office, so Chet and I started talking about books, music, Terlingua, solar energy and Pork Chop (Kinky's dog Winston) and Tortellini (Chet's dog Willie) having put on a few extra pounds.

Around 11:30, Trigger brought me back over to the rescue ranch. Everyone was congregating, at the barn and talking about the concert, Donna Hatch's upcoming article about the rescue ranch and going up to the Medina Highpoint Resort to eat lunch together. And minutes later, all of us took off to go eat lunch.

Lunch was a total blast. I sat between June and Jim and across from Ellen and Suzanne, at one end of the table and Tony sat with Kris & Jim at the other end. As always laughter was non-stop and when June made her big announcement about her and Ellen going to Spain, we all had input from what they should wear to what to see and do. All-in-all it was a super fun time for Tony and me getting to spend time with this great bunch of characters.

When we got back home, I took a short, sleepless nap with our dogs. Then I went outside and did a little push-mowing and when I came back inside the phone rang—it was Chet's friend, Gretchen, from Austin, calling to let me know that she could not come out today, as planned, to possibly adopt Buster Brown or another one of our fabulous dogs. Before we adios-ed each other, her last words to me were, "I'll be there at 10:00, in the morning."

A couple of hours later, my good friend Carol, the sweet wife of Calvin, who own the famous Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack, on 16, the other side of I-10, called me to tell me that she is coming out tomorrow to possibly adopt a dog from us. So, the great news is that we might have two adoptions tomorrow!

This evening, around 6:15, I asked Tony if he wanted to go up to the Medina Highpoint Resort, to eat their delicious, Friday night Catfish buffet. After he said, "Yes, I do," we talked about calling, Kinky and Chet O'Keefe, to see if they wanted to go with us, so Tony called Kinky. 

After getting another "Yes, I do" from Kinky, he said, "Chet wants to go too..." Five minutes later, Tony and I were inside Trigger heading out of the rescue ranch. When we reached 16, all of these Harley Motorcycle people, about fifteen, were parked on both sides of the road. So Tony lowered his window and asked this young, pretty woman, if they were okay.

Then this twenty-something Harley babe, that Tony was trying not to drool over, told us that their friend had just run off of the road and flown off of his bike. "Is there anything that we can do to help?" Tony asked.

"No sir," she sweetly said, which instantly caused Tone's ego to drop several notches. "He is fine. He flew off of his bike when it hit the ditch. We are just waiting for a wrecker to come pick up his bike, because it is all banged up."

As Tony pulled out onto Highway 16, I jokingly teased Tony, "She said no sir? I guess she must have thought that you were an old man." Needless to say, "Tony didn't find my remark very funny."

Tony and I had just sat down outside, to eat and listen to the live band, when Kinky and Chet arrived, so I got up from the table to let them know where we were seated. When I returned to our long table some real nice women bikers, from Louisiana, came up and asked us if they could sit, at our table. After we told them that two seats were reserved for Kinky and Chet and the rest of the table was free for them to sit at, they got all excited about getting to meet Kinky.

When Chet and Kinky came to our table, the women were blushing as they greeted Kinky. Because the band was playing loudly, I had to half-holler, "Kinky, they are all from Louisiana!" 

"What?" he asked, as he sat down next to me.

"They're from Louisiana," I said. 

"Oh," then Kinky smiled at them and waved. Then a nice man, wearing a doo-rag, carrying about eight, cold beers, in his arms, to our table, for the out-of-staters, from the right side of Texas, bent down and told Kinky that he saw him perform once, in Louisiana and that he was a big fan of Kinky's. Kinky talked to him for a few minutes, until the band started playing another Country song.

Basically, the four of us ate our delicious dinner in silence, as the great sounding band played one Country hit after another and the bikers danced to their awesome music. 

When we finished eating, we had talked Chet into coming over for a visit, so Kinky adios-ed us and took off in Mr. Green Jeans. Twenty minutes later, the three of us jumped into Trigger and came back to the rescue ranch.

As soon as we got back home, I played my new favorite song for Chet. "I love this song. It's called Needed Time, sung by Eric Bibb live and it is an old Taj Mahal song. I've never heard of Eric Bibb and I love him. He reminds me of Keb' 'Mo..." As Chet listened to the song, I grabbed my guitar and started finger pickin' to it. 

When Chet told me that he really liked it too, I replayed it and handed my guitar to Chet, so he could really play the tune and Chete blew Tony and me out of our saddles. Oh my goodness, Chet was playing even better than Eric Bibb was and he was going all over the neck of my guitar. To say the least, "Chet's guitar magic was totally awesome and amazing to listen to." And that is about it for tonight, because I need to go to bed.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: