Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Singing Safety!

Sunday evening, at 7:14—the phone rang and I let Carlton take the call. "Rescue Ranch," I heard myself say, "We can't come to the phone right now. Please leave a message and we'll get back to you as soon as possible." Beep.

"Ah yeah, this is... ah, Bob Zidecky," the man said, as I walked towards the phone. "I would like to talk to you about an animal to rescue."

I figured it was this old man calling me, from East Texas, that Kinky had called me about, earlier in the day, so I answered the phone. "Hello, this is Nancy."

"Nancy? I want to speak to Cousin Nancy," Bob said.

"I am Cousin Nancy. Can I help you?"

"I want to know about that dog."

"Which dog?"

"Uh, the one in the paper. I think I want to adopt him."

I had no clue what this man was talking about. "What paper?" I asked.

"Uh."

"Are you talking about the Black Lab, that's on our Concert for Utopia poster?

"Yeah, that one! What's his name and do you still have him?"

"Yes, we still have him and he is a wonderful dog. His name is Willie Nelson," I said.

"His name is Willie Nelson," echoed Bob. "Is Peggy Sue still there?"

"Yes, she is with Buddy Holly right now," I said. The man started laughing.

"Peggy Sue and Buddy Holly are in the same pen!" Then Bob laughed again. Then I realized who it was calling me and I started laughing.

"Dog gone it, Jeff Severson! You got me again. I promise that I am going to get you BIG Time! Are you, Lorri and Carol still up in Fort Worth having a good time, at the American Rodeo?"


Jeff, the former American Football safety in the National Football League for the Washington Redskins, Houston Oilers, Denver Broncos and St. Louis Cardinals and starred in the movie, North Dallas Forty and several popular TV shows, just kept on laughing.  

"Hello, Cousin Nancy. We are having a wonderful time with our friends and this weekend we've been telling our friends some funny stories about you. Carol told us that when you were a kid, growing up in Fort Worth, your mom used to tell y'all to be sure and flush...."

"Yeah, she did." Then we started laughing, again. "Jeff, Dallas and Ft. Worth have always been rival cities and it is ingrained in us at an early age to dislike each other. Dallas doesn't like Fort Worth and Fort Worth doesn't like Dallas..." Jeff and I talked for a few more minutes and then we adios-ed each other. 

Over the past several years, Jeff aka "The Singing Safety" and Lorri have sent me some cool pictures that Jeff has signed to me and I want to share them with y'all. My favorite picture is the one with Roy & Dale and Jeff.




Today has been great and before I finish writing tonight I want to tell you that I did Big G's radio show this morning and it was a lot of fun. His Pet of the Week is Roscoe and Roscoe still needs a great home like his sister, Daisy has found, in Arizona.


After Big G and I talked about six-month-old Roscoe, we talked about Jim and me meeting George Fischer, at the Boerne Library and his book The Last  DK Cowboy. Big G had read the Kerrville Daily Times article about him, so we are planning to do lunch with George, Kinky and Tony real soon. 

FYI: Please note that this is just the beginning of me getting even with Jeff Severson playing another prank on me. In the next few days, I plan to get with Carol, to help me come up with something hilarious to pull on Jeff, to get the score even. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Cousin Nancy,
My name is Bill Meyers and I had the good fortune to be introduced to your blog by the lovely Carol Vail. If you need any help coming up with an idea for a prank on that skalawag Jeff "The Singing Safety" Severson just let me know. Over the years we have cut his guitar strings so he couldn't sing. Hidden his guitar for days, put ads in the Long Beach paper announcing free autographed 8X10 photos and concocted an intimate encounter with a female impersonator named Dolly Parton. We have a library of ideas and an entire group of his friends who will gladly contribute. All the best.
Bill

cousin nancy said...

Howdy Bill! You're hired without an interview or filling out a job application for PRC—Prankster Real Cowboys (or Cowgirls). Carol called me earlier this morning to tell me that you had posted a comment and thanks for doing that. The Singing Safety Ain't Safe! We're going to get Jeff one way or another.