Sunday, March 9, 2014

Don't Mess With Texas—Truce!

Today has been great and I am writing this early and have scheduled it to post at 7:30 this evening! Why, you ask? Because Carol, Chet, Tony and I are going to be, in Buttermilk, heading back home, after going to the super, cool, invitational only, Ronny Cox House Concert, at Liz and Jim's ranch.

Yesterday, I played my prank on Jeff Severson, with the help of our dear friend Chet O'Keefe. As you know, earlier this week, while I was trying to meditate It popped into my head, before Mama nearly knocked off my head, as she jumped off of our bed.

So, later that day, I went over to Kinky's to see Chet, so I could talk to him about possibly helping me play a prank on Jeff.

(FYI: Our dear friend, Jeff Severson aka The Singing Safety, is a very talented musician, singer, song writer and we love his songs. Currently, Jeff is getting ready to release another great CD of his latest songs. And since Carol, Tony and I introduced Jeff to Chet O'Keefe, who is another talented musician, singer, song writer, Jeff has been working closely with Chet, on a few of his recordings.)

When I told Chet all about needing him to help me pull off this prank—he was all in. "Chet, all I want to do is jump into one of Jeff's serious songs, after he sings the first line or so and then I start singing off-key with him, which is natural for me, because I am tone deaf and also hard of hearing..." Chet thought it was funny, so he agreed to help me get our friend. And when I finally talked to Carol about it, she thought it was hilarious, too, and could not wait for it to happen.

So, it happened yesterday afternoon, around 3:00, when I called Chet. "Hi, Nancy. Are you ready to come over to make your singing debut?"

"Yes."

"I've got everything set up and ready to go, so come on over." Ten minutes later, Tony and I jumped into Buttermilk and went over the river and through the woods to see Chet.

When we arrived at Chet's super cool, mobile recording studio, Chet and I talked about the recording for thirty seconds or less. Then Chet played Jeff singing the first and second lines of one of his beautiful songs. "Okay, Chet. I am going let Jeff sing the first line and then I am going to jump in and surprise Jeff when I start singing the second line with him—off key." Then Chet put the headphones on me, Tony took a picture of me and the next recorded twenty seconds is history or should I say hilarious.


When Chet turned off the mic, he played it back for us to hear and the three of us could not quit laughing, because I was soooooo off-key and sounded like a hick. When we finally quit laughing, I thanked Chet and then said, "Chet, if you don't mind, all I need for you to do now is send Jeff an e-mail, saying something like, "Hi, Jeff. I've been tweaking your song and I like it, but I need to know what you think.""

"I'll send it in fifteen or twenty minutes," Chet said. "Keep me in the loop." Then Tony and I adios-ed Chet, jumped inside Buttermilk and came back home, to discover that Grace Kelly and her running pardner, Tom Landry, had dug out of their pen, once again and they were having a blast running around the rescue ranch, teasing the dogs. And five minutes later, they were back inside their dog pen resting, as they watched Tony and me fill up their latest hole, with rocks.

Around 7:30 last night, Carol called me to see how my trip to Austin went and after I filled her in, I said, "It's done, Carol. Chet and I played the prank on Jeff, earlier today. And it is so hilarious, because my singing seriously stinks. Do you want to hear it?"

"Yes! I can't wait!" When I held the phone up to our Bose iDock, Jeff starts singing the first line and when he starts to sing the second line, with me singing off-key and intentionally echoing too slowly behind him, Carol laughed so loud, it made our phone shake, in my hand. "Nancy!" Then she started laughing non-stop, for a couple of minutes. "That is the funniest thing that I've ever heard and...."

This morning, with still no word from Jeff, I called a certain friend (Carol) to talk about it. Ten minutes later, a little birdie (Carol) told me that it had caught Jeff totally off guard and he is still laughing about it and he has not responded, because he is deep in thought, thinking of his next prank to play on me, but I am calling a Don't Mess With Texas—Truce. (Jeff, you got me twice and I have only played one prank on you and I am done. I promise.)

If y'all want to listen to my prank, of me singing with Jeff, click here. It is too funny!

I have to go now, because I need to shower and get dressed in my cowgirl clothes, because tonight Carol and I are going to the Ronny Cox House Concert, as the Cowgirl Sisterhood. I am taking my banjo, too, because I hope that Ronny will sign it for me and let Tony take a picture of us. Because Ronny Cox is the famous movie star that played the banjo, in that classic movie, Deliverance! How cool is that!

In case you did click to hear me singing with Jeff, it ain't going to happen without Jeff's permission. "Laugh out loud, Jeff! I got you, again! Now we are even-Steven! Two to two. Please no more pranks from here on out, because I think that I've already peaked in that department. Don't Mess With Texans— Truce and always Remember the Alamo, dear friend. I love that song that I temporarily ruined."

Y'all have a great evening like Carol, Chet, Tony and I are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cousin Nancy,
I loved your prank on Jeff. But your singing couldn't be worse than his! Great job.

Bill
I am sending you a link, I think you will love this. No Prank.
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/xHkq1edcbk4?rel=0

cousin nancy said...

Hi Bill! Trust me, my singing stinks to high heaven—just ask Tony and my dogs, who always seem to disappear into thin air when I start to sing. Or, just ask Carol, Lorri and Jeff.

Tony has teased me, in the past, that it might be considered dog abuse, when I sing to our dogs outside and sadly, I have to agree with him.

Like my mom once told me, when I was a kid, besides flushing our toilets, because you know who needs the water, "Nance, we're all good at some things and not so good at other things. It's no big deal. So don't worry that you can't sing worth a darn. "I'm going to keep that ash tray that you hand made for us, in our bedroom, because we love it so much..."