Monday, March 24, 2014

Pork Chops & Tortellini!

Today has been great, but yesterday was a little more than exciting to say the least. Yesterday morning, after breakfast, I was getting ready to make some salsa and was in the middle of opening a can of tomatoes when the phone rang—it was Kinky. "Nance, you and Tony need to get over here right now! Tex fell..."

I hollered, "Tony! We've got to go to Kinky's now! Hurry!" I then put the partially unopened can of tomatoes inside the fridge and then we fled The Cabin, jumped into Buttermilk, because Trigger was still parked outside the rescue ranch with the bees.

On our way over to Kinky's I filled Tony in on what was going on and when we arrived, Kinky walked up to greet us. After he told us about Don falling and being diabetic and passing out because of low blood sugar and not getting his new glucose package opened in time, we went into the Annex to check on Don, while we waited on the ambulance to arrive.

To make a long story short, Don was taken to Peterson Regional Medical Center, in Kerrville and Kinky, Don, Tony and I were more than impressed with the professionalism of the Kerrville Fire Department EMS and the caring staff at, the P.R.M.C., that treated our dear friend.

So yesterday, Tony and I spent most of the day in Kerrville and we brought Don back to the ranch around 4:00. Don is fine, but he broke his foot when he fell and early tomorrow morning Chet is going to drive Don to Austin, to be with his sister. And that is one of the reasons why I didn't write last night and the other reason is: I could not wait to finish reading Donna Gable Hatch's fabulous, fiction book For Every Goodbye. I love her book. It touched me and I can't quit thinking about it, so I suggest that all of y'all read it, because I promise that you will love it as much as I do.

Today has been great, but much quieter, thank goodness. Late this afternoon Carol came over to borrow my copy of Donna's book For Every Goodbye, because after I told her about how much I enjoyed reading it—she could not wait to read it.

When Carol arrived, I went outside to greet her and then we jumped into Buttermilk, to go over to the Lodge, to visit with Kinky, Chet and Don. When we arrived Chet and Kinky came out of the kitchen to greet us and we had a fun visit, in the front yard, talking and laughing about Chet's and Tony's crazy trip back, from Port Aransas, transporting the bees.

At one point during our conversation, filled with laughter, Chet's dog Willie and Kinky's dogs Sophie and Winston walked up and I teased Chet about Willie putting on some extra pounds since coming to the ranch. Then Carol teased Kinky about Sophie and Winston being a little more than pudgy. They thought it was pretty funny and then Kinky changed the subject and started talking about what to fix for their dinner. "How does pork chops and tortellini sound?" he asked.

Before Chet could answer him, I teasingly remarked, "That's the dog's new names." Kinky, Carol and Chet started laughing.

"That's a good one, Nance," Kinky said. Then he looked at Winston and pointed at him and said, "He's Pork Chops and Willie is Tortellini." Then we all went into the Annex to visit with Don for a few minutes. Don seemed to be feeling fine and he was in good spirits.

A few minutes later, Kinky went into the Lodge, so Carol and I visited with Chet and we talked about our exciting, upcoming Concert for Utopia.  A few minutes later, Kinky came back outside and he was chuckling. "Tony just called. Kent's over there and Tony needs for you to come home, because he needs his bee gloves." So Carol and I adios-ed them and came back to the rescue ranch to give Tony his bee gloves, so he and Kent could move the bees.

Carol and I visited for a few minutes and then we adios-ed each other and she left with Donna Gable Hatch's book For Every Goodbye. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Fay said...

Awww! Don, you poor lamb. Hope all is well and everyone is feeling ok.
Fay xo

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! Don is doing fine and I will let him know that you made this comment. See you in a few weeks for the concert!