Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Cowboy Zombie!

Today has been great. This morning while T. and I were outside feeding the dogs and cleaning their pens, our friend Karon, from the children's home came over to show us her new Black Labrador, female puppy, that she has named Remington. Remington stole Tony's and my hearts immediately, as she has Karon's heart. She is only eight weeks old and is so cute, I went up to The Cabin, to get my camera, so I could take this picture of her, in Karon's arms.


Here's a picture of Belle, Roy and Beau watching us play with Remington.


This afternoon around 3:00, while Tony and I were outside talking to Jack and Carol, a very nice couple, from Kerrville, about them possibly giving Starsky a home, if he gets along with their old dog, a car drove in. This woman pulls up and asks, "Are you Cousin Nancy?"

"Yes," I answered. 

Then this woman, wearing a really big grin on her face, jumps out of her car, opens up the trunk of her car, pulls out a painted canvas and walks up to us and introduces herself to us. Then this friendly woman hands me a painting and a postcard, and says to me, "I promised an artist friend of mine, Alvin, that I would get his painting of Billy Bob Thornton with his band." then she looks at the date on the painting, "Since 2008, I've been trying to get this to Billy Bob. I sent it to Billy Bob's managers a long time ago and it was sent back to me, because Billy Bob had changed agencies and they did not know who to forward it to."

After we all looked at the beautiful painting, she continued, "Alvin is a good friend of Billy Bob Thornton and I just got back from spending a week in Big Bend and I am hoping that you can get this to Kinky, so he can mail it to Billy Bob?"

"Sure, I can get it to Kinky," I replied. Then she handed me a postcard, to be included, that Alvin had hand written a note to Billy Bob. Then the woman hugged me, walked away and drove off. 

Then we talked to Jack and Carol for a few more minutes, about them coming out next week, to foster Starsky for a few days, to make sure that their fourteen-year-old Lab wanted a young partner like sweet Starsky. 

After the nice couple drove off, I called Kinky to see if it was a good time for me to come over. "Sure, come on over."

A few minutes later, when I walked inside the Lodge, carrying the painting and postcard, I half-hollered, "Kinky!"

"Come on in, Nance. I'm in here." When I walked into Kinky's bedroom he was packing his suitcase, because tomorrow morning he is going to be on the road, in Texas, for the next three weeks. After I had told Kink about the nice woman, the artist and the painting needing to get to Billy Bob, he told me that he would take care of it. 

After he had quit packing and zipped his suitcase closed, he studied the beautiful painting and then sets it down, on the floor, next to some other paintings. Then he hands me another painting and asks me, "Would you like to have this painting of me? A friend painted this long ago and I've got way too many paintings."

I looked at the portrait of Kinky, painted by his friend and said, "Yes, I would love to have it. Maybe I will auction it off on eBay, to benefit our rescue ranch." Then I followed Kinky outside, to the front porch, so we could sit and visit with Chet O'Keefe and Sean Rima, the popular San Antonio radio talk show host, on KTSA 550AM. "Hi, y'all," I said. "This is weird. I just walked into the Lodge with a painting and a postcard and now I'm leaving with another painting..." 

After telling them about the lost Billy Bob painting, I showed them the painting that Kinky had just given to me. They liked it as much as I did. Then I asked Kinky to please sign it for me, even though he didn't paint it. "Please sign it for me. That way, I have witnesses of you signing it." Two minutes later, Kinky had signed the painting of him, using a gold colored Sharpie. He wrote: 

"Cowboy Zombie, 
Kinky Friedman"

I had a fun visit with Kinky, Chet and Sean and we talked about the accomplished actor/musician Ronny Cox, that we're all going to go see next month, at our friends house, The Friedmans, Chet's cool dog Willie, Starsky maybe getting adopted next week, our upcoming Concert for Utopia, on Palm Sunday, at the Cailloux Theatre and Chet's last week performances, in Austin, at the Strange Brew and Saxon Pub, then I adios-ed them and came back home.

I have decided that I am not going to auction it off on eBay or show y'all the painting, because it might hurt the artist's feelings, so I plan to hang Cowboy Zombie, in my office. And that is about it for today.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: