Friday, February 28, 2014

Jim Passed The Bottle!

Today has been great. This morning when Mama and I got out of bed, my back was just a little sore, thank goodness.

This morning while Tony and I were outside doing the chores, our good friends/volunteers started showing up to walk our dogs. All of us were whispering behind Jim's aka The Mineral Man's back, because we had a surprise birthday party planned for him, at the Medina Highpoint Resort, after the dogs got walked.

While I was feeding Miranda Lambert and her brother, Blake Shelton, Eileen and Kris, Jim's sweet wife, walked up to the pen, so we could discuss Jim's surprise birthday party.( Jim's birthday is actually tomorrow, but we thought today would be the best day to have his birthday party, since the weather was smiling on us.) "Tony and I dropped off Jim's birthday cake yesterday, so all we need to do is stall him, Eileen, so y'all can get up there to get things ready," I said. Then they took off to walk their dogs down to the creek.

When it was time to go to the Medina Highpoint Resort, Jim was the first to get into their car. When Kris started to get into their SUV, I  half-hollered, "Kris, wait. I want to show you something, inside the barn."

As Kris closed the car door, she was grinning at me, as she purposefully, slowly walked up to the barn. "Come on inside, so we can stall Jim," I suggested. Then we stood inside giggling, as we watched the volunteers cars leave.

"What am I going to tell Jim, when he asks me what you wanted to show me?" Kris asked.

"I don't know." Then there was a pause, before I suggested, "Tell him that I wanted to show you a cute dog collar or something like that." By then everyone had driven off, so we walked out of the barn, so Kris could get in their car and take off.

Ten minutes later, when Tony and I walked inside the Medina Highpoint Resort, Jim was laughing and wearing a cardboard crown, that Suzanne had provided. Our long table, that we always sit at, was decorated with Suzanne's cute Mardi Gras cut-out dogs and gifts, gift sacks and cards covered the rest of the table. So, I took off to the food counter, to fetch Jim's birthday cake. As I carried it to Jim, I joked, "We bought a smaller birthday cake this time, because there is always too much cake left over." Then I laughed and said, "Actually, that's not really true. Tony and I are just real cheap."

Tony and I had a blast at The Mineral Man's birthday party and so did everyone else. It was full of laughter. When Jim opened up our gift sack, he unwrapped a small, clip-on book reading light, from Tony. Then when he opened up my gift everyone chuckled, because it was a bottle of Udderly SMOOTH skin lotion.

After Jim had thanked me for my gift, I told everyone about Tony and I getting a jar of it and how much we loved it. Then everyone was curious and wanted to try it. So, Jim put some on his hands, rubbed them together and then Jim passed the bottle, so everyone could try the super skin lotion.

As the bottle of lotion passed from one person to another, down and back up the table, everyone was making remarks about going to buy some, at Gibson's. Then I jokingly said, "By the time Jim's bottle gets back to him—it's going to be completely empty!"

When Jim finally got his half-empty bottle, of skin lotion back, I stuck one, big, white candle, into his birthday cake, so he could light the candle, make a wish, blow out the candle, while we all sang Happy Birthday to him, while he cut up the cake, which came from H-E-B and was totally delicious.

After Jim's birthday party was over, Tony and I went outside with Kris and Jim, so we could load up my three, H-E-B insulated, red grocery bags, that I had packed full of books for tomorrow's Patrick Heath Public Library's 1st annual Local Authors Book Expo, in Boerne. Before Tony and I adios-ed our dear friends, Jim and I decided where and what time to meet tomorrow morning, so he could drive me to Boerne and help me, at the Expo.

This evening, I plan to figure out what I am going to wear for tomorrow's, fun, four hour, Local Authors Book Expo. Then I'm going to drink a glass or two of wine and then go to bed early, because I plan to get up around 5:30, in the morning.

Here are a couple of pictures that I took at The Mineral Man's surprise birthday party today. And that's about it, except I do want to invite y'all to come see Jim and me tomorrow, in Boerne. And, once again, I do want to thank sweet Kris for loaning out her husband, so he can help me.



Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: