Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Beatles And Fifty Cents!

Today has been great. I overslept this morning and I totally enjoyed it and wish that I could do it more often.

This past week there has been a lot of news and talk about The Beatles: The Night That Changed America 50 Year Anniversary show tonight. I have talked to many friends, about my age, that remember watching and falling in love with The Beatles, 50 years ago today, on the Ed Sullivan Show and everyone that I have talked to has been looking forward to watching the show tonight.

Kinky was nineteen-years-old and he remembers and I was twelve-years-old when I saw The Beatles on our family's black & white television, in the living room. I loved The Beatles the instant they started singing!  And 5o years ago, today, I also fell in love with Paul McCartney and wanted to marry him, if I couldn't get Roy Rogers to marry me. It seems like that famous, February 9th, Ed Sullivan Show happened yesterday, but then again, that was a really long time ago—50 years. So, I have spent a lot of time this past week remembering those "Good Old Days."

This afternoon, when Tony and I walked out of the little H-E-B, on 16, with our groceries, a sweet, young Girl Scout, behind a card table, asked us, "Would y'all like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?"

"No, thank you," Tony said, because he is trying to lose a little weight.

"Yes, I would," I said. "How much is a box?"

"Three dollars and fifty cents!"

"Oh my goodness," I replied, before chuckling. "Fifty years ago, when I was about your age, I sold Girl Scout cookies for fifty-cents a box. That was long ago." The girl and her mother laughed and so did Tony. "I want a box of Thin Mints and Tony you pick out a box." Tony picked up a box of Samoas, his favorite Girl Scout cookie. Then I paid the Girl Scout $7.00, instead of $1.00.


When we got back home, Tony took off to take pictures outside and I went into the Space Ship and deep-cleaned the refrigerator and worked on cleaning up the stove. And that is about it for tonight, because it's Beatle Time!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: