Friday, February 21, 2014

Mari, Eileen, George Carlin, Judith, Ben, Carol, Dennis & Boomer!

Today has been great. Early this morning, after making me a delicious cup of Green Mountain's Donut Shop Coffee, I sat down, at the kitchen table and checked my e-mail. After I had gone down the line and deleted several e-mails, trying to sell me stuff that I don't want or need, I opened my dear friend, Mari's note to read and it instantly made my day great. And it was early!

The reason that Mari's note to me made me so happy was because she wanted me to please let her adopt Daisy, the young, yellow Lab, that we rescued yesterday! In her note. Mari told me why it was so important for her to adopt Daisy from us and it put a giant grin on my face, but that is confidential. Anyway, Mari is coming out Monday to adopt this adorable, lucky pup.

When Tony came home, after drinking coffee with his friends, at the Old Timer, he read Mari's note to me and like me—it put a smile on his face and made his day, too. Then he told me, "Karon told me that she is pretty sure that her friends want to adopt Daisy's brother, Roscoe..." So, we are keeping our fingers crossed that he gets adopted, too.

A little later, in the morning, our good friends/ great volunteers came out to walk our dogs and to finally, get to give Eileen a surprise birthday party. For the past three weeks everyone has been talking behind Eileen's back, about having to cancel and reschedule her surprise birthday party, due to weather, etc. And today, thanks to Suzanne, who supplied Eileen's birthday cake—we surprised Eileen and celebrated her birthday, at the Medina Highpoint Resort.

After the dogs had been walked and everyone was ready to go eat lunch, at the Medina Highpoint Resort, Suzanne whispered to me, "Nancy, stall Eileen for a few minutes, so we can get things set up, before she arrives. Then Suzanne took off in her Ford Mustang convertible.

"Eileen, wait a second, I want to introduce you to Daisy and Rosco...," I said, as the volunteers started their engines. Then I said, "Oh, Eileen, I want you to see the article about George Carlin, in this week's Bandera County Courier. Our friend, Judith Pannebaker wrote it and it is about you and June taking George to the DockDog Expo, at the San Antone Rodeo, last Thursday." Then I handed her the newspaper, so she could take the time to read the great article. (Click here, to read the great article.)

After Eileen had read and told me that she loved Judith's article about George, she adios-ed me and took off for the Medina Highpoint Resort. Then Tony and I called in our lunch order and took off, in Buttermilk, to eat lunch and celebrate Eileen's birthday.

Eileen's surprise birthday party had already started when we arrived and walked inside with me carrying Eileen's gift (a bottle of Cowgirl Sisterhood Wine.) and Tony carrying a gigantic brick of Ben's Miles of Chocolate, that he had given to us last Sunday. We first wished Eileen a Happy Birthday and then I went to our table and announced, "Y'all, Ben was here on Sunday and he gave us two bricks of Miles of Chocolate. And Tony and I want to share it with y'all. I brought foil and we will divide it up after lunch." Then I took these pictures of Eileen's delicious birthday cake and some of Tony's and my favorite people—the volunteers.



During the party, Eileen opened up her gifts and hilarious birthday cards and she passed them around the table for all of us to read and laugh. When Eileen got to Suzanne's gifts, her jaw dropped, when she saw the beautiful bracelet and framed picture. Then her jaw, dropped down a little further, when she saw the cookbook, because she is an Elvis fan big time, like Kris and Suzanne are.


And, to say the least, "Eileen's surprise Birthday party was a total blast. So now, after surprising Eileen, I can officially say, Happy Birthday Eileen! Because I had wanted her to think that we had all forgotten about it."

This evening, as soon as Carol got off work, she called me from the parking lot, "Nancy, today I met someone you know!"

"Who?"

"His name is Dennis."

"Dennis Lanning," I said. "Tony and I love Dennis. Ten years ago, we met him when he came out and adopted our dog, Boomer.  Boomer was a great dog and he went everywhere with Dennis. In fact, Boomer wrote a Kindle book MUTTweiler: An Autodogography by Boomer about his adventures with Dennis. And, the rescue ranch, Tony and I are in it, too. I've blogged about it in the past. It's a great book to read and a lot of fun."


"I know," Carol said. "When Dennis asked me where I was from and I told him Medina. Then he says I adopted a dog in Medina. And, that is how it all got started. Dennis is such a nice man and he really loves y'all. You and Tony know some of the coolest people on the planet. And I am not kidding you, when I tell you this, he and his friends were the most fun group of wine tasters today. They were so much fun and..." And that is about it for tonight, except I want to say, "Hi Dennis! Please come see us sooner than later and bring your friends,too. We'll get Carol over here, too!"

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: