Thursday, November 8, 2012

Getting Arrested!

Today has been great, but nothing significant to write about happened out here, but I will tell you about me looking like a fool, in Kerrville, because Tony is still teasing me about it.

Early this afternoon we went to Kerrville to eat lunch, get new tires put on Buttermilk and to pick up some groceries at H-E-B. While we traveled to town, I came up with an idea to save us some time, "Tony, isn't there a BBQ restaurant across the street from Wagoner Tires?"

"Yes. Paw Paws."

"Instead of waiting to get the tires on and then go eat, let's just cross Sidney Baker and eat there, to save us some time."

"Okay."

After we had picked out the tires for Buttermilk, I told the nice woman, "We're going across the street to eat lunch and we'll be back soon."

"Enjoy your lunch," she said.

When T. and me walked outside, I suggested that we walk down the street and cross at the intersection, instead of crossing in the middle of the street.

"No, Nance. Let's just cross here, because there is no light at that intersection to help us."

"Okay, but we will be breaking the law. It's called Jaywalking and I hope we don't get a ticket for doing it."

As we stood on the curb, we kept waiting for a chance for us to get to the other side, for at least three minutes and then Tony says, "Let's go!" We started walking and two seconds later, Tony says, "We'd better run."

Well everyone knows that I don't run at my age, but I can jog, at a slow pace or skip, so I decided to skip across, even though I was wearing my pink cowboy boots. As I was skipping across Highway 16, which in town is known as Sidney Baker Street, the cars from both sides were getting closer to us. "Hurry, Nancy!" Tony half-hollered.

So I started skipping the fastest that I have ever skipped in my lifetime and when I finally made it to the curb, I burst out laughing, as a  pickup whizzed by us. "What's so funny?" Tone asked. "You nearly got hit by that truck."

"I bet I made a lot of rubber-neckers laugh, as they drove by, because they've probably never seen a senior citizen skipping that fast."

While we ate our lunch, next to a front window, we watched Wagoners removing and putting new tires on Buttermilk. When the last new tire was put on her, we were done eating our lunch and I said, "Tony, if you don't mind, I am going to stay on this side of the street and go next door to check out the store, because I don't want to be run over by a truck, like Mom was, when she was a child."

"I think that is a good idea."

As Tony ran back across the street, I casually walked inside the little store and when I came outside, Tony was just pulling out onto the side street, so I waved at him. And as I watched all of the heavy traffic going by, not giving him and Buttermilk a chance to cross the street safely, I thought, "Hurry Tony. I don't want to be mistaken as a street-walker and get arrested."

When I jumped into Buttermilk and told Tone about worrying about getting arrested, he burst out laughing.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: