Saturday, June 30, 2012

I'm On Fire!

Today has been great, even though our dogs and me overslept this morning. We didn't wake up until 7:30, but by the time Tony had returned home, from the Old Timer, I had already cooked up a big stack of delicious Aretha Frankensteins' Insanely Great Pancakes for him, Ben and me, to eat for breakfast. And needless to say, "Ben is now hooked on Aretha's pancakes too," which is sort of sad, because this morning, I used up the rest of Aretha Frankensteins pancake mix, that Eileen gave to us.

This afternoon I fixed sandwiches for Tony, Ben and me and after we ate lunch Ben and I decided to jam, because Ben had learned how to play and sing, Bruce Springsteen's great song, I'm On Fire. And within a couple of minutes, after Ben had told me what the chord progression was for the song, we put a bluegrass spin on it, which made Tony come out of his office and say, "Y'all sounded fantastic together! I want to hear that again..."

So, Ben played his mandolin and sang the song again for Tone, as I finger picked my guitar as fast as I could and not to brag, we really did sound pretty good. After we had performed Springsteen's song for Tony, he went back into his office aka man cave and that's when Ben I decided to have some fun and turn some old Motown songs into bluegrass songs and we had a lot of fun jamming together, until my fingers were killing me and I had to put my guitar up, for the day.

Early this evening we unplugged everything inside the trailer, because we actually had a few serious thunderstorms, thank goodness. Because we were unplugged, Ben, T. and me and all of our dogs went into Outer Space for a really fun visit. While we laughed and teased each other a lightning bolt suddenly hit really close, so I bolted and ran inside The Cabin, because it had scared me and when I finally came back outside to rejoin them, they teased me relentlessly for being so scared of lightning.

After re-telling them the true story about my mother being hit by an eighteen-wheeler, in downtown Fort Worth, when she was real young and having to have a metal plate put into her head and missing school for a year, with her identical twin, who didn't have a metal plate in her head, which no longer made them identical and the surgeons warning my grandparents, "that my mom was a walking lightning rod and to be careful during electrical storms" and then my mother putting the fear of lightning into my brother Ronnie, sister Cindy and me at an early, impressionable age—they roared so loud with laughter, that we could not hear the thunder going on around us.

When the thunderstorms had ended, we checked our rain gauge and we were delighted to find that we had received over a half inch of much needed rain. Then Ben grabbed his mandolin and adios-ed us, so he could get back to Austin. And that is about it for today, because it just thundered outside and we need to unplug, again.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: