Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dirt Blizzard!

Even though I got stuck behind a slow moving car yesterday and was running late to meet up with Sandy, because I never ever pass cars, I loved Mark Klym's Texas Parks and Wildlife presentation on Texas Hummingbirds, which was held at one of Tony's and my favorite stores, in Kerrville—Wild Birds Unlimited!

Mark is a co-author of the popular book, Hummingbirds of Texas and he is a true authority on Texas Hummingbirds, so I learned a lot of things that I didn't know before about Hummers.


After Mark's interesting, one hour presentation ended, Sandy and I went shopping inside the store and we also did a little visiting with my sweet neighbor, Sally, from Medina, the store's friendly owners Linda and Kevin Pillow and Marguerite, who works for them. Marguerite is the super, sweet woman that adopted Enzo #2 from us.

I purchased Mark's book and had Mark sign it to Tony, then I started shopping and found the cutest Fruit & Nut Seed Cylinder, with seed and a really cool, solar water wiggler for our bird bath and when I got home and showed them to T. he was thrilled.

After he had assembled the solar water wiggler, which was so easy that even I could have done it, we went outside to hang up the fruit and nut seed cylinder, try out our new, sun powered water wiggler and take some pictures of the birds, in the Okay Corral. Here's the cylinder hanging high up in the tree.


The awesome, solar water wiggler at work!

When we returned to The Cabin, I took this picture of this adorable Barn Swallow,
 perching and pondering something, on my pink pig hanger, on the front porch.


Today has been great. This morning while Tony did our morning chores outside by himself, I got on our riding lawn mower and cut the grass and weeds for over two hours. When we came back inside The Cabin we were hot, tired and thirsty. "Nance, you should see yourself. You're clothes are covered in dirt."

"I know, Tony. Dust and dirt were flying the whole time," I said, as I removed my bi-focals, so I could clean them off, so I could see once again. "Tony, at times it was like I was mowing in a blinding-dirt-blizzard out there, but it was hot, instead of cold and dirt instead of snow. Some times the dirt was so thick in the air, I couldn't see two feet in front of me."

"I know. Whenever I looked up at the sky, it looked smokey and if I hadn't heard the mower running, I would of thought there was a fire. You need to go put on a clean shirt." 

Not to brag, I made the most delicious lunch for us today, after I had put on a clean shirt. A couple of weeks ago, Carol had taught me how to make frittatas, because she had cooked us some for dinner and we loved them, even though I had a hard time pronouncing frittata, which she and T. relentlessly teased me about, because I was pronouncing it like reata, with an "f" in front—freata.

Anyway, for "Cousin Nancy's Freata Recipe," I used olive oil to saute: yellow squash, zucchini, onion, garlic, mushrooms, pico de gallo, corn, Muenster cheese, Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese and then I seasoned it with taco seasoning and a handful of crushed-up Fritos, before adding the egg mixture. 

Tony loved it so much, he ate a second serving of it. And please don't tell Carol, but Tony told me, "This is so much better than Carol's "fri-tah-tahs." And he was right.

Because of too much sun and that dang dirt blizzard, that I created early this morning, we spent the rest of the day resting. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: