Friday, June 29, 2012

I Hope Your Knees Are Okay!

Today has been a lot of fun. Early this morning Ben came out to help Tony, for a few days, so my morning started out with a lot of laughing, because Ben kept telling us funny jokes.

Around 9:30, our super great dog-walking volunteers/friends; Jim and Eileen showed up, just a few minutes apart and I want to thank both of them, because Jim walked 17 dogs and Eileen walked 16 dogs and our dogs loved it.

When the dog walking was over, I had a fun time visiting with Eileen and Jim, as they rested in the shade and drank water, as we watched Tony and Ben preparing the ramps to load up Kermit, on a borrowed trailer, because Kermit was fixin' to go to Kerrville to get fixed.

When the ramps were set and ready for Kermit, Eileen, Tony, Jim and I slowly pushed Kermit up the steep ramps, as Ben stood in front of the trailer, using a come-along with a heavy chain attached to Kermit's front bumper, hand-cranked to help pull Kermit onto the trailer.

While Tony and Ben tied Kermit to the trailer, Jim adios-ed us and then he drove away. Then Eileen and Ben got to telling hilarious jokes and I was laughing so hard my back began to ache, even though I didn't understand one of Ben's jokes, that he and Eileen had to explain to me, before Tony, Ben, Buttermilk and Kermit took off for Kerrville. "Tony, I think I am going to go to the pound to rescue a dog, while y'all are gone," I said. "Y'all drive careful."

A few minutes later, after Eileen and I had adios-ed each other, I grabbed my purse, then jumped into Trigger to go to the pound, in Kerrville. When I arrived at the pound, I called Ben. "Ben, I'm in Kerrville, at the pound. Where are y'all?"

"We just dropped off Kermit."

"Do y'all want to meet me for lunch somewhere?"

"Sure," Ben answered. "Tony, the big baby, says he's starving."

"Okay, give me fifteen minutes and I'll meet y'all at..." After quickly looking at the dogs, at the pound, I told the staff that I would come back, after lunch, with Tony and Ben, so they could help me pick out a dog.

Then when I tried to back Trigger out of their parking lot, I couldn't do it, because we were wedged tightly between two cars. So, when I saw a man, that works at the pound walk by, I jumped out of Trigger and asked him if he could please back Trigger out for me, because I have never been good at backing up. He smiled and gladly jumped into Trigger, instantly banging his knees on the steering wheel, because my seat was as close as it could be to the brake. "The first knob, near the front, on the side there, will move the seat backwards for you," I said, trying to be helpful.

After he had moved the seat, as far back as it would go, from the steering wheel, he backed Trigger out for me. "Thank you, so much," I said, as I climbed back into Trigger and moved the seat as close as it could be to the steering wheel.

When I arrived at the restaurant, Tony and Ben were already there, sitting at a table, waiting on me. "Did you get lost?" Tony teased. "We've been waiting for over twenty-five minutes and we were about ready to send out a rescue team to find you." Ben started laughing.

"I'm sorry, I'm late. I had to get one of the men employees to back Trigger out of the parking lot for me and when he did, he banged his knees on the steering wheel, because my seat was too close to the steering wheel." Which made them burst out laughing. Then Ben made a hilarious wisecrack, which I can't repeat, about me being so short.

After a fun lunch with the guys, we jumped into Trigger and went to the pound to get a dog and while we were in the lobby, as I was signing off on the paperwork for Hank, a beautiful, happy, young yellow Lab, the nice man who had backed Trigger out for me earlier, walked inside. "Tony, Ben, that's the nice man who helped me with Trigger. Thank you, so much for backing Trigger out for me," I said. "I hope your knees are okay?" Then Tony, Ben and the man looked at each other, smiled and started chuckling.

When it was time for us to go, Hank and I climbed into the backseat, so Tony and Ben would have enough leg room and a few minutes later, when we arrived at Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, to drop off Hank, to get him his shots and neutered etc., my face was soaking wet from Hank's constant licking.

When the three of us left the clinic, Underdog sat happily beside me, in the backseat, until we arrived at the restaurant, to let Ben out, so he could drive Buttermilk, with an empty trailer attached, back to the ranch. And I am happy to say that Underdog slept between Tone and me all of the way home. And that's about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Eileen said...

Nancy,

I don't think I've ever walked 16 dogs before! I'm usually running my mouth! I guess not having the other FAB THREE there did it! Thanks for our interesting and enlightening conversation. DDS

cousin nancy said...

Hi Eileen! Congratulations on setting a new dog walking record for yourself—I'm impressed and don't know how you did it. And yes, I also enjoyed talking to you about DDS. Thanks again for coming out.