Monday, December 12, 2011

Irish Coffee! or To Go To The Circus?

Today has been a great day. This morning after doing our outside chores I quickly got myself cleaned up, so I wouldn't be late to pick Carol up, so we could go to Lisa's "Luncheon for Ladies" at her home in Kerrville.

When we arrived at Lisa's and Chuck's home June, Ellen, Eileen and Kim were already there and the first thing we did, after we had admired and had petted Cassandra, their adorable 15 year old muttigree, was to follow Lisa to the kitchen, where everyone was laughing.

After howdies, Lisa poured us all a glass of champagne and then we formed a circle, so Lisa could make a toast, "Because, we deserve it!" 

"Because, we deserve it!" We happily echoed back. Then we all started clinking our glasses together and got to laughing, because our crystal glasses were dodging each other. "And, you're supposed to look a person directly in the eyes when you clink glasses with them," Lisa joked, even though it is true. So we all started laughing and decided to do it again by cutting-up and making funny faces at each other, as we stared into the eyes of the friend we were going to clink glasses with. It was so hilarious, that it made my back ache from laughing so much! 

Then Lisa made an announcement, "As you know, Eileen is Irish and when she was in Ireland a few months ago, they taught her the proper way the Irish make Irish coffee and she is now going to make us Irish coffee!"

As Eileen began warming up our mugs, the way the Irish do, she told us about the room temperature buttermilk on the counter, that must not be refrigerated, for at least sixteen hours before making real Irish coffee, so I shot her, Kim, Carol and June's hand with my camera.


Eileen's Irish coffee was a big hit, because everyone loved it, because it was absolutely delicious and here is Ellen's mugshot.


Then we went into the formal dining room and sat down, so Lisa could serve us our delicious lunch. The first course was one of the best salads that I've ever eaten. The main course was Lisa's gourmet chicken soup with warmed bread as a side, which we all begged her for the recipe. 

While we ate our tasty meal, Eileen, who could/should be a standup comedian, started telling us this funny story about this young woman who ran away and joined a circus and it I couldn't quit laughing, because she is such a great storyteller. 

A little later, after much teasing among friends and laughing, Eileen told us about the time a hurricane was headed for her small town in Mississippi and she and the authorities were the only ones who didn't evacuate the town. "Seriously, everybody left town, but us."

"Did they go to the circus?" I joked and it cracked Carol up, so much that she was literally shaking in her chair. 

When sisters Ellen and June, with the driest sense of humor, started talking about their new, beautiful, "Shoe String Ranch" and the outhouse, which they've creatively converted into a shrine to honor their nutty, dead aunt—everyone was rolling on the floor with laughter and that's when I knew that my back had had enough laughing, because it truly began to hurt. 

Chuck came home right before Lisa served us our dessert, so she invited him to join us at the table, to eat her more-than-delicious homemade bread pudding which was to die for, too.

After our laughter filled lunch, Chuck showed us their wine room, which was impressive, while Lisa cleaned up the kitchen. Then Lisa gave us a tour of their home.

When our super fun lunch ended we went into their living room and Chuck shot us. My fabulous, fun friends from left to right: Eileen, Lisa, Kim, June, Ellen, Carol and yours truly.


As I finish writing this I am sitting on my pink sheepskin that Mari gave to me and my back is feeling much better thank goodness. I want to thank Lisa for throwing the best "Luncheon for Ladies."

Y'all have a great evening, because like Lisa says, "We deserve it!" Goodbye Kim, have a safe trip to England!

3 comments:

Eileen said...

I want Lisa's recipes for the soup and for the bread pudding! I knew your pink sheepskin that Mari gave you was coming out and being used tonight! By the way, I plan to make an Irish whiskey drinker out of you some day!

Lisa said...

It was a great time for all of us girls and we deserved it! Thanks for coming!

Susie said...

nancy this week I adopted an older kitty from the Fort Worth animal shelter. He is something else, likes the top of my fridge and pawing the water out of the water dish.
And I really think he is missing his former home, it is kinda sad, he is wandering around the house meowing like he is looking for someone.