Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Daddy Jim's Quality Meats! or A Savvy Shopper!

Today has been a great day. The reason that I didn't post last night was because I was worn out, because I spent most of my day taking care of paperwork, which is totally caught up and late in the afternoon Trigger and I followed Tony and Buttermilk to Hondo, because we needed to get a repair estimate on Trigger's mirror and back door, because a buck ran into him the day after Thanksgiving day.

This afternoon Buttermilk took us to Kerrville so we could buy our rescue dogs their Christmas dinner, compliments of June, Ellen and Eileen, but before we went to H-E-B we stopped at Wolfmueller's Books to see our dear friends Sandy and Jon.

During our fun visit with them I said, "I am so happy, because earlier today I realized that we can start grilling outside again, because the burn ban has been lifted, because of the rain. So, Tony and I have decided not to have our traditional big, Christmas dinner instead we're going to cook steaks. We're fixin' to go to H-E-B when we leave here and while Tony is running around the store filling up our dog's cart, I'm going to get us some groceries and steaks."

"We only buy our meat at Daddy Jim's Quality Meats," Sandy said. "Shirley and Danny Applewhite own it and they are good friends of ours and we think they have the best meat and prices in Kerrville...y'all should really give them a try." Then Jon gave us directions to Daddy Jim's Quality Meats, "They are on Loop 534, on the right side, right after the VA Hospital and before the shutter store and tell them we sent y'all."

"We will." I said.

"Nancy," Sandy said. "Also, they sometimes sell fresh farm eggs and their homemade sausages are the best that we have ever eaten. You're going to love it. I promise."

After I had paid Sandy for another copy of my favorite book, The Art Of Racing In The Rain, I said, "You know that fabulous cookbook that y'all gave me for my birthday, A Cowboy in the Kitchen: Recipes from Reata and Texas West of the Pecos, I've written down all of the ingredients needed to make their delicious Cream of Jalapeno Soup, that we ate at the Reata, in Alpine." Then I pulled out my list to show her. "Tomorrow, when Ben is here, I am going to make it and serve it with our steaks for lunch and we're also having it on Christmas day, too. And I'm going to ask Ben to help me make it tomorrow, so I don't screw it up..."

Ten minutes later, after we had adios-ed our friends, Tony parked Buttermilk. Then we walked inside Daddy Jim's Quality Meats. "Hi!" I said, to a friendly woman standing behind the counter. "Are you Shirley?"

"Yes," the woman said, wondering how I knew her name.

"We're dear friends with Sandy and Jon Wolfmueller and they highly recommended you..." Then Danny came out of a back door and greeted us and then I told him about Sandy and Jon loving their meat. Ten minutes later Tony and I happily walked out of their store carrying two sacks of meat and we could not believe their lower prices and how much money we had saved. Then we went to H-E-B. with our shopping lists.

And I want to thank June, Ellen and Eileen for donating their $150.00 for our dog's 2011 Christmas dinner, because the bill for it was $147.74! Tony is a savvy shopper.


Well, that's about it for tonight, because my back is still aching from all of the laughing I did at Lisa's Luncheon for Ladies and at Wolfmueller's Books today and I'm dreading tomorrow, because Ben keeps me constantly laughing, but it is well worth it. So, tonight I'm going to plug in our little white holiday lights, that we will never take down, then sit on Mari's pink sheepskin and play my guitar until my fingers are killing me and then read a little and then go to bed.


P.S. Kinky's Hanukkah Tour is now over and he really enjoyed it and he arrived back at the ranch early this evening! And I am looking forward to visiting with him tomorrow.

Y'all have a great evening and thank you for praying for us to get some more rain!

No comments: