Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thanks To Magnum P.I. And Rockford!

This morning, Tony woke me up at five-thirty, because I had asked him to. Then T. took off for the Old Timer. After feeding the dogs and the cat, I walked the walk, six miles to be exact, then I called Kinky at seven o'clock, because he had asked me to. He had an early interview to give, and he wanted to make sure that he didn't oversleep.

At seven-forty-five, I called into the Harley Show, but I got the radio station's machine. As I watched and listened to Harley doing his live webcast, I continued to punch the redial button, but I kept getting the machine! I started worrying, because last week the same thing happened to me, so I sent an e-mail to Harley, and asked him if something was wrong. Then I made some kona coffee in Perky, the percolator. While it brewed, I brewed.

At five past eight, Tony walked in the front door. "Sorry, I missed the show. I had to go to the hardware store. How did it go?"

"It didn't go," I said. "I couldn't get through, just like last week." Then the phone rang, and I let Carlton take the call.

"Hello, Cousin Nancy! This is Harley..."

I picked up the phone, "Hello Harley!"

"We are on the air right now, and I am calling to apologize to you for not letting you do the show this morning or last week's..."

"Harley, you don't have to apologize to me for anything..."

Then Harley explained to me that Becky had left the station two weeks ago, for another job, and his scheduling had been all messed up. We talked for several minutes on the air, and I laughed nearly all of the way through it. I love Harley Belew and I am so glad that everything is fine.

After breakfast, I wrote some letters and then returned some phone calls. With that done, I went outside to talk to Ben. He had driven down last night, and he was cleaning pens when I found him. He and I caught up with each other's news. Then I returned to the trailer to discover I had six new messages on the answering machine.

Early this afternoon, Kinky called to invite me over to the Lodge for a visit. Outside by the Friedman Family Bone Orchard, we discussed politics, my book, his book, my dogs, his dogs and our dogs, and then he challenged me to shoot a game of pool with him.

In the beginning, The Hummingbird Man was on a roll—shooting like a pro. Near the ending, I was on a roll—shooting like a girl, who had just found luck for the very first time! We both had one ball left on the table! I took my shot and missed, and then the Hummingbird Man sank his ball and then the eight ball! I had lost, again. So, I left the Lodge laughing all of the way home!

Early this evening, after Ben, Tone and I were done working, we went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky and Will Wallace. "Will is the ruling pool champion," Kinky told us, so Tony challenged Will to a game. Will was tired, and he declined. So, Tony challenged Ben to a game.

During their round of pool, the Lodge was filled with laughter, until Kinky's cable tv went down. While Tony and Ben took turns missing their balls, Kinky went into his office and called the cable company, while Will and I tried to figure out what was wrong with the receiver. Then Kinky walks into the 'big room' and says, "I am putting you on with Cousin Nancy. Please hold on for a second." Then he hands me the phone and then sits down in his chair.

The technician's name was Peter, and he was really nice. I think he was from Alabama. Anyway, Kinky had his cable back on in less than two minutes, thanks to me, repeating Peter's instructions to Tony! Kink was delighted! Then his phone rang.

When Tone and I were fixin' to leave, Kinky said, "Nance, Rambam is on his way out here to talk to you and me. He wants to talk to you. He should be here any minute."

"Okay, that's fine," I said. "Send him over to the rescue ranch. See y'all later."

I like Rambam. For those of you who don't know Rambam, he is an international private investigator and he is a pretty famous one, too. Just ask him. I'm just kidding!

Five minutes after we had gotten home, I decided to go back over to the Lodge, to talk to Rambam. When I arrived, no one was in the Lodge, so I went outside and found Kinky, Ben and Will were inside the Annex, trying to get the fax machine to work. "Where's Rambam?" I asked.

"He just left to go over to the rescue ranch to talk to you," Kinky said. The three of them started laughing, so I thought they were kidding with me, but they weren't. As the fax machine began spitting out one page after the other, Kinky says, "There's Rambam. Come on, Nance, let's go talk to him."

Kinky and I left the Annex. After hugs from Rambam, he told Kinky that he and I needed to go for a walk, to discuss some business, so Kinky bid us farewell, and we strolled off into the sunset, I mean the dining hall. Fifteen minutes later, we were back at the Lodge. I started to leave, but Kinky asked me to stay and visit with him and Rambam.

As dark, threatening, but rainless clouds passed over us, as we sat near the bone orchard, the three of us had a fun visit. With loud thunder claps in the distance, Rambam told us some jokes, that I can't repeat, unfortunately. At one point during our conversation, Kinky started laughing really hard! "What's so funny, Kink?" I asked.

"Nance, we're sitting here, with one of the world's most famous private eye detectives," Kinky said. "And, he couldn't find either of us, when he got here!" We all started laughing. "When Rambam arrived, Ben and Will were outside, and I was in the Annex working on the fax machine."

"Yeah," Rambam said, "And thanks to Magnum P.I. and Rockford, I went over to the rescue ranch to find Nancy, but you had already taken off for the Lodge. Your gate was closed to the rescue ranch. But, I ended up finding you both!" Kinky and I laughed, as he walked me all the way to Trigger!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: