Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fee Fi Foe Fum!

Today has been fun! This morning, I went over to the Lodge, after Kinky had done the Imus show. Kinky and I talked about the show and how funny it was. "I think that you should invite Don to the Three Dog Night show at Casbeers, in San Antone." Kinky liked my idea. We visited a little while longer, then I returned to the rescue ranch, and walked six fast miles with Leslie Sansone.

I made Moo Goo Gai Pan for our lunch. Unfortunately, I ran out of teriyaki sauce, so it was okay, but not great. Following lunch, while I cleaned up the kitchen, Tony took some over to the Lodge for Kinky and Will to have. When Tone returned home, the kitchen was clean, and we decided to go to Kerrville to run a few errands.

I needed some groceries, but I was really going, so I could get the ingredients needed to make Baklava. I found a great recipe for it at All Recipes, on the internet. It has great recipes for just about everything.

Trigger took us to Gibson's first. Tony needed to buy some new Wrangler jeans, and I needed to pick up some hooks, for a sign that I am making for the Annex, that Kinky has been bugging me about to get it done.

After Gibson's, we drove across the street to Copies Plus, to see Trisha. As soon as we walked into the print shop, Trish greeted us with a howdy and a big smile. We had a fun visit with her, as her employee, Marcia finished cutting Tony's postcards! Trish was covered up with printing jobs, so when the postcards were done—we were done, and we left her shop.

Our last stop was at H.E.B. to get gas for Trigger, then groceries. Before going into the store, I dropped off some mail outside of the store. I had a thank you letter for Patty, in Ft. Lauderdale, and two birthday cards, one for Maribeth and one for Drew. Then I grabbed a shopping cart and we walked inside the store to speed shop.

Within fifteen minutes, we had everything on my shopping list inside our cart, except for one thing—phyllo dough for the Baklava. Tony and I spent over five minutes looking for the dough, but we couldn't find it, so I asked this nice H.E.B. young man, "Do you know where the phyllo dough is?" (Please note: I pronounced it like fi, as in five followed by low—fi-low. Then I showed him the written word on my list.

He shook his head no. "I am sorry ma'am, I don't know." Then he saw one of the store managers, over by the eggs, and he half-hollered, "Do we have 'fi-low' dough?'" Before the manager could answer him, this snooty woman, probably a little younger than me, looks over at me and the kid, and yells, "It's fee-low," and then she shakes her head at us, like we were two dummies. Several people saw and heard her, and then they looked over at us. I could tell that it really embarrassed the young man, because he was turning red in the face.

"It's over where the frozen pies are," the smiling store manager hollered to us. Tony and I followed the young man to the frozen pie section, and the three of us started looking for it. "Well, all I can say is, you can sure tell that woman ain't from Texas," I said. Then I laughed trying to make the young man smile. He smiled and then laughed!

"Here it is!" He said, with excitement. He opened up the freezer door, and proudly handed me the box of dough.

After we thanked him for his help, and he had walked away, Tony whispers to me, "That woman was a real...!" I agreed with him, and then we checked out our groceries and then came home.

As soon as we had put up our groceries, I made Baklava, and then put it into the oven to bake. Please note: the way I pronouce baklava is like: back-lava. As in get back, the lava is startin' to head our way!

An hour and a half later, Tony and I tried my first Baklava, and it was delicious! So I called Kinky and asked him if I could come over to the Lodge, because I had baked something, that I wanted him and Will and Jerome to try out.

Three minutes later I walked inside Kinky's kitchen. "Hi Kink! Here it is!" I said, setting the plate down on kitchen table.

"Hi Nance," Kinky said. "It looks delicious! What is it?"

"Back-lava," I replied. "It's my first attempt at making it! Here try some. It's pretty good."

Kinky smiled, picked up a piece, and put it into his mouth. "It's delicious, Nance, but I think it's pronounced bach-la-va." Then Will walks into the kitchen.

"Hi Will," I said. "I just made this back-lava for y'all..."

"Bach-la-va," Will says. "It is pronounced bach-la-va." I started laughing!

"Good grief, y'all!" I said. "Okay, fine, bach-la-va. Tell me, how do y'all pronounce the word P, H, Y, L, L, O, it's a bread?"

"Fee-low," Will answered.

"I don't know," Kinky said.

"Did you say fee-low or fee-la?" I asked Will.

"Fee-low," Will said, with Baklava in his mouth. I started laughing, and I laughed all of the way back to the rescue ranch!

At eight-thirty tonight the phone rang—it was Kinky. "Nance, I called to tell you that Jerome just tried your Baklava and he knows what Baklava is supposed to taste like. He told me to tell you that your Baklava is the best Baklava that he has ever eaten! Kinky and I both started laughing!

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

DY_Goddess said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! What a treat, I love honey!!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! It was delicious and thank goodness that Kinky, Jerome and Will ate the rest, or I would have eaten it and then had to walk 43 miles!