Monday, August 10, 2009

Jack And Jill!

It is a good thing that yesterday was so restful, because we needed the energy today! First off, Kinky called to tell me the exciting news about his campaign fundraiser, 'A Bloody Mary Morning with Willie Nelson' in Dallas and the Three Dog Night concert, at Casbeers At The Church, in San Antonio! Tony and I are really going to try to make the events, too! The details are at: kinkyfriedman.com.

After Kinky's call, I started walking. I was finishing up my sixth fast mile, when there was a knock on the front door. "Come in!" I huffed.

"Nancy, Tony just left for Hoegemeyer's with Jack Nicholson, in the van!" Aaron said. "Tony asked me to come up here and tell you, to call Hoegemeyer's and tell them he is on his way, and it is an emergency!" When I saw Aaron's blood stained hands, I set my three pound weights down, and then paused Leslie's walking video—praying that I wouldn't faint.

"What happened?"

"Jack and Jill St. John got into a fight over their food. Jill is fine, but Jack was bitten on his neck and blood was pouring out! Tony used a bandana, and wrapped it around his neck tightly to stop the bleeding. He was scared that Jill had bitten into Jack's jugular vein. I need to get back outside."

As soon as Aaron left, I picked up the phone and called Susan, at the clinic, to alert her that Tony was on his way. Then I stopped the walking video, because I was feeling queazy.

An hour and a half later, Tony walked inside the trailer. There was dried blood on his jeans and shirt. "You're not going to believe what happened, Nance," Tony said.

"What?" I asked, even though I wasn't sure that I wanted to know.

"As I was starting down the pass, a pickup pulling a u-Haul trailer, had jackknifed—stopping all of the traffic. Jack was still bleeding pretty badly, and nothing was being done, and the cars were starting to stack up, so I pulled out of line, and drove Van Morrison up to the truck. I told the man that I had an emergency, and I needed to get Jack to the vet clinic. I offered to pull the man's truck and trailer off to the side of the road for him, so the traffic could start flowing, again. The man told me that his fuel pump had gone out on him, and he thanked me. Thank goodness I was in the van, because Trigger couldn't have done it. I tied the truck's bumper to ours and pulled the truck with trailer, to the side of the road. Then I took off for the clinic."

"How's Jack?"

"I don't know? As soon as we arrived, they took Jack into their emergency room. Susan told me to call them in a few hours. I sure hope that little fella is going to make it. He's a good little dog. I need to clean up and change clothes."

Forty-five minutes later, noon to be exact, our friends, Barry and Sue Ellen, from Bandera, showed up with their photographer friend, and I'm sorry but I can't remember her name, but she was really sweet. They had made an appointment to come out and take a picture of Dusty Pendleton's beautiful painting, "The Von Kinky Family Singers," that was used on the front cover of our 2009 calendar!

Tony removed the painting from the wall in my writing cabin, and took it outside, so she could shoot it. While she snapped away, Sue Ellen and Barry, and their dog, Wheezer, who they adopted from us over three years ago, had a fun visit. And, it was really great seeing little Wheezer, again! He is spoiled rotten!

After they left, I called Susan at Hoegemeyer's to check on Jack. Susan told me that he had been bitten several times. They had to sedate him, to clean him up, and he did not need any sutures. They had given him some antibiotics, and it looks like he is going to be fine, but they want to keep him for a few days for observation! Her good news made Tone and me smile!

Jack Nicholson was officially adopted this past Saturday to our friends, Steve Samet and his son, Brett, but they can't pick him up until the twenty-fourth, so hopefully little Jack will be totally recovered and ready to get out of here, and go to his forever home in San Antone.

Tony and I needed to go to Kerrville, so we took off in Trigger. We ate a great lunch at Randy and Lisa's Save Inn Restaurant, and we even got to see Randy! I swear that place has the best down home cooking and the coolest waitresses!

After lunch, Tony and I went to Home Depot. We bought some wood, screws, outdoor carpet, and tacks, so we can finish off the ramp, that leads up to our trailer, for our four old dogs. Then we went to H.E.B. and stocked up on groceries, and then we came home.

Tomorrow morning, while it is still cool outside, T. and I are going to finish the dog ramp, and I will post a picture of it tomorrow! I know that Thunder, Hank, Little Girl and Toto are going to love it!

I've got to go work on my book.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: