Friday, August 14, 2009

Oh No! Not That One!

This evening Tony and I have some friends coming over, to play poker with us in Outer Space. Since none of us have much real money to speak of, and to keep it friendly, we will either use matchsticks or pennies. I am hoping that we will play with pennies, because matches and trailers do not make for a good pair.

I love my trailer, and I guess that I am paranoid about my trailer burning down, but I can't help it. It seems like every night, or just about every other night on the news, some trailer has caught on fire, or was struck by lightning, or been blown away to Oz by an unfriendly tornado!

Late this morning, Trigger took Tony and me up to Fredericksburg, so we could be judges for a pet contest, at St. Barnabas Episcopal Church's 'First Friday Food Ministry' luncheon, which was benefiting the Fredericksburg SPCA—and we had a blast! Patti and Sheryl were there with Opie, the dog that they had adopted from us, a couple of weeks ago! Opie looked great, and he was the coolest dog there! Our meals were delicious, and I really enjoyed meeting so many nice people. As soon as the awards were handed out, Tone and I drove over to the Fredericksburg SPCA, and dropped off seven, twenty pound boxes, filled with Milk Bone treats for their dogs, then we headed to Kerrville.

When we got to Kerrville, we stopped at H.E.B. to grab a few groceries, before heading home. On isle nine or ten, we ran into our friends Les and Denise! They were shopping with their cute grandson. After handshakes and hugs we laughed about running into them, and we realized that it has been a couple of months or so, since we had seen them at the store. Then we hugged and handshaked and said goodbye.

After we had filled our cart, I remembered that I had forgotten to get some flaxseed, so on our way back through the store we ran into our friend, Peggy, part of the P & P ladies—Patty and Peggy! After hugs, we had a quick, but fun visit with her. Before leaving, we asked P to tell Patty, who lives in South Florida, howdy!

Late this afternoon, Kinky called, "Nance, can you and Tony come over here? I want to show you something." Ten minutes later, I was over at the Lodge, staring at four beautiful book jacket designs, for his upcoming book, Heroes Of A Texas Childhood. Then Kinky asked me to pick my favorite one.

"I like this one," I said. "They all look great, but this one is my favorite."

"Me, too!" Kinky said. I want to get Ben and Will's opinion, too. Let's go find them." Then the door to the kitchen opened, and Will Wallace walked in. "Will, I need for you to pick the jacket cover that you like best." Will studied the artwork, laid out on the pool table.

"This one," Will said, pointing to the same one we liked! Then we heard the kitchen door open, again, and Penny and Valerie walked into the 'big room,' followed by Ben. Kinky asked Ben to pick.

"I like this one," Ben said.

"Oh no!" I said. "Not that one! It's my least favorite." All three of the men started laughing. Before leaving the Lodge, Kinky had made his choice, and you're gonna love it!"

My dogs have just started barking—our friends are here!

I'll bet a penny, that y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

Fredericksburg Food Ministry said...

You guys--and Opie--were the hit of the lunch. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for coming to Fredericksburg and joining in our fun. We never did get the judges all talking to the guests about their work with animals, but the goodies everybody brought spoke volumes about how much people care. Will send you the link for video on You Tube as soon as David Greathouse gets it posted--probably tonight!